Putting wire netting in a floor screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am repairing part of a floor screed that was cracked and hollowish. The area is about 3 square metres. The thickness is however about 35mm. I want to wet the concrete, then apply a coat of PVA for better bonding, put down wire netting and then lay the screed (4 parts sharp sand to 1 part of portland cement).

My question is, shall I lay the wire netting (or chicken wire) on the scabbled concrete first and then lay the screed on top of it or should the netting be in the middle of the screed?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You have a terrible job trying to lay mesh in just 35 millimetres of screed. It will keep coming up above the surface

Sponsored Links
First you do not want plasterers sharp sand. Various parts of country, various names. Grit sand, Concrete sand, Course sharp, Flooring sand. Screed sand being a few. The sand needs to have fine particles of 2 to 3mm of grit stone included in the grading.
Waste of time throwing mesh in a 35mm thick screed. For a 35mm thick screed you really need a modified screed with SBR bonding and polypropylene reinforcement fibres.
Google both the above and you will have all the info that you require
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back