PVA and it's use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a general question. Sometimes a 5:1, 3:1 or even neat PVA is advised before skimming.

Is neat PVA used on a high suction background to provide more or a seal so it doesn't suck the moisture out of the new skin?

But when is a 5:1 water:pVA mix used and when is a neat PVA applied before skimming?

Sponsored Links
I often use neat pva , sometimes with a handful of sand in before skimming to provide suction control and adhesion.
I never use watered down pva for skimming.

I never use neat pva. I just follow the advice on pva and they can be different from brand to brand. Not all pva is the same. I normally water down and coat and let that dry (day before) then 3-1 and if that hangs wet for 10 mins skim away.
For really porous surfaces beeline sealer (Pva emulsion as kills suction dead) then plastering pva 3-1 over and when sticky skim.
So many ways to do it and it's whatever works for you I guess. Some use to blue grit. Sbr is another popular one.

i never use sbr for skimming , it’s a myth. similarly if you apply wet plaster to wet pva , expect it to slide down the wall and tear when your closing in.
Blue grit and similar products are almost always the way to go.
we’re all different

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If I get a variable surface wall I SBR ,leave 24 hours then bluegrit and in another 24 skim. Not practical for tradesman I guess but has always worked at my pace.

953EC092-3EFA-4B2B-AE1B-3E3EE27F8B54.jpeg

your’e wasting good money on sbr . blue grit is more than good enough.
we’re all different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back