PVA before plaster skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put up a new internal wall in doors, do i need to do anything to the plaster boards before i plaster them?
thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
no. i put skim plaster straight onto plasterboard. the only time i prep with pva is if putting skim onto existing plaster.

you will need scrim tape over any joints.

hi guys,
do i need to do anything to the new wall before its plastered? you mention skrim tape over joints, is this self adhesive or do i use something else to stick it? also, what about the joint where the new wall meets the old wall?

Others will swear by original jute scrim tape but I always use self adhesive, fibreglass reinforcing tape; it’s quick, easy, and very strong.

Where the new wall meets the old (assuming the new has been brought out to the same level ready for skimming!) I apply 3, slightly overlapping strips of reinforcing tape.

Sponsored Links
I know this is an "old thread", but to answer the question,,,
PVA is a white coloured ,water based adhesive that can be applied to different substrates to aid adhesion of plaster, cement etc. It can also be used as a sealer on absorbent surfaces. Many uses overall.

Roughcaster.

I can't see the word "emulsion" used in this thread

but it usually means a water-based paint containing resin emulsified in water. the water evaporates leaving the paint in a continuous film.

It used to be made with latex or synthetic resin. Most of it is vinyl based now. A non-vinyl matt paint is thought best for new plaster as it allows moisture to escape from the wall and provides good adhesion for later coats. the first coat(s) on new plaster are thinned with water to let it penetrate deeper instead of just lying on the surface

btw PVA or other glues should not be used on surfaces that are going to be painted, as it prevents the paint soaking into the substrate

PVA is a white coloured ,water based adhesive that can be applied to different substrates to aid adhesion of plaster, cement etc. It can also be used as a sealer on absorbent surfaces. Many uses overall. Roughcaster.
Hi roughcaster,
Is it anything like PlasterWeld? Plaster-Weld is pink in color though, and it's not used for cement. http://www.larsenproducts.com/plasterweld.htm

For cement I've usually used Weld-Crete. Same manufacturer, different color (blue.) http://www.larsenproducts.com/weldcrete.htm

I found some PVA adhesives via google, but I don't think it's the PVA being discussed here. Do you have a link to it with a picture of it maybe? Thanks.

"emulsion" usually means a water-based paint containing resin emulsified in water. the water evaporates leaving the paint in a continuous film.

It used to be made with latex or synthetic resin. Most of it is vinyl based now. A non-vinyl matt paint is thought best for new plaster
I never heard of resin paint. I'll call some paint manufacturers tomorrow, but I got a feeling it's going to be hard to find.

I found some stuff in India. http://www.gharexpert.com/articles/...D=23&Count=-1&Tot_Rec=31&Page_Id=1&Estimator=

I found some ecologically friendly resin paint but it's oil based. http://www.smartplanet.com/reviews/household/10001149/overview/auro-321-white-emulsion-paint.htm

Do you happen to have a link to some of this stuff?

you live in a different country.

Products and working practices are going to be different.

So are names for things.

I can't think why you are looking at India for your paint.

I expect whatever people use in your town to paint walls and ceilings will be equivalent.

wikipedia says that our PVA is similar to the pink stuff you mention.

Ours is white, and generally the component that makes up a lot of modern glues for paper, wood etc.

Hi,

I think the pink coloring is added just to make it easier to see if you have complete coverage.

By the way, in the States, you would have to add PVA to the common gypsum board before plastering it. But there is a new gypsum board out with blue paper on it that is meant to take plaster directly. I suppose all the wallboards in the UK are made to take plaster because it's so common to do so there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back