PVA, screed and self leveling compound (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, biting the bullet, I chiseled off the bitumen from the concrete floor (not a DPM). Not a fun job.

Floor is unlevel... Really unlevel.... like 25mm dips over 2m un-level.

I then put down a 1:4 PVA primer (as I've read to do in the past on several sites) and the back of the PVA container itself.

I then put a sand/cement screed down in lowest areas and leveling compound on the 'not quite so low' to get the floor level with a plan to put a thin layer of SLC over the whole floor to get it smooth...

Only now I've been reading that essentially PVA = spawn of satan (as I've known about for tiling). And have read everything from "it should be ok" to "your floor WILL blow".

I'm floating a floor on top, so stresses imposed from that will be low.

But what is the chance of the PVA actually causing failure? It's been used for years and as far as I'm aware, most floors are still in once piece.

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Hi Fubar, did you get anywhere with your query? I also put down some PVA that has fully dried and want to keep going with self levelling. Is this safe to do?
Thanks, Max

Years ago everyone used pva even though you should use the primer made by the smoothing compound you are using. Should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back