PVC cable in mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one.

I have used some mortar to close off a void where some circuit cables run between a garage and a living room. I thought I was doing a good thing, stopping fire/smells etc. entering the house.
At the time I didn't know that mortar can be corrosive. I thought PVC was only affected by polystyrene. Surely once the mortar has dried (which it has) then there won't be any problem. I'd be likely to cause more trouble trying to chip out the mortar.

I'd be grateful for any opinions or experience of this.

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean sand & cement as opposed to lime mortar, in which case you will not have a problem as long as the cable is in a safe zone.

The mortar was leftovers from the builders when they were filling a few holes, and they've been mixing a little lime with the mix. I don't know how much, but it's not a full on lime mix. Stupid of me, I should've mixed my own or used plaster, but it was just there, waiting to be used.

Sponsored Links
Panic over. I've removed the mortar. Luckily it was a poor mix and crumbled away with minimal fuss. Won't be doing that again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back