transmigration of pvc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is the old pvc cable and polystyrene insulation.

Is there any regulation or part of building regs that stipulates pvc cable must not come into contact with polystyrene ?

Im aware of the dangers of transmigration of the polymers from the pvc deteriorating over time when exposed to polystyrene, id just like to know if there are any rules or regs regarding this, my inlaws park home has polystyrene insulation in the loft area and whilst I was up there today noticed more than several cables had sunk into the poly, when pulled out they had gone sticky and felt soft, the home is only 9 years old

Sponsored Links
Not knowing the regs inside out and not having a regs book to hand can someone tell me regs in specific, ta

522.5.3 Materials liable to cause mutual or individual deterioration or hazardous degradation shall not be placed in contact with each other

Sponsored Links
Just a bit further on with this now, complaint letter sent to builder of house, they came and did a full periodic inspection and found the same as me cables degrading due to polystyrene being in contact with pvc, 3 weeks on still no reply from building company, nic registered but building is 8 years old nic insurance scheme only covers 6 years so they aint bothered, thinking now letter to builders stating notice before action, ie ill get independent quotes to repair or replace wiring then basically sue the builders in small claims.

Just heard from mother in law, had a letter saying regulation 522.5.3 is a 17th edition reg, so being as house was built in 2000 what reg from the 16th edition would that come under ? cant find my 16th ed book anywhere.

522.5.3 may be from the 17th however 522-05-03 existed in the 16th Edition

Regualtion 522-05-03 from the 16th Editition states "Materials liable to cause mutual or individual deteriation or hazardous degradation shall not be placed in contact with each other."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back