What the eye can't see!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To set the scene, before we found it, our house had been on the market for a couple of years and the people selling it (children of a widow in a home) had decided that it probably wasn't going to sell so they would do up the kitchen and rent it out.

So, whilst the kitchen was being "refurbished", we found the house and decided to buy it. The kitchen refurb was very poor and I couldn't believe anyone had accepted the standard of wall tiling etc.

Anyway this didn't bother us as we intended to fully refurbish the whole house. Previously the lighting circuits had been re-wired but not the sockets so this was something that I planned to do over time.

On inspection I found that all sockets in the kitchen were spurs (new colour cable) which I found a little strange and wasn't able to work out the cable routes (skimmed and painted walls).

I also discovered that whilst there was a circuit breaker labelled up "kitchen" only two sockets were on this breaker with other sockets being either on the upstairs or downstairs circuits - how confusing was that?

It was only when I started refurbishing the kitchen (removing the kitchen units etc.) which exposed unpainted walls that I realised that what they had done was simply to connect into the old socket locations insulating the joints with any old rubbish they could find before burying in plaster as the photos below show.

My favourite is the second one where they wanted to connect the spur to the socket. As you can see, rather than link the two in the shortest most direct way with a piece of cable 4" long they have embedded in the wall a piece of cable 10 times as long taking a nice curved route.

The last photo shows that they were masters of more than one trade as they needed to cap off part of the kitchen waste and rather than use a proper fitting they simply shoved a piece of polystyrene in the end of a joint and siliconed it - brilliant!

I am pleased to say that I now have all sockets on one completely re-wired circuit and absolutely no polystyrene in my waste system!

There was a similar story upstairs again related to the kitchen where they had disconnected (at one end only!) a live feed for the lighting which they had just taped up and left under the floor boards. The most annoying thing about this was that this cable was about 1m long and emanated from a junction box so why not disconnect it properly?

Some people should definitely not be in the bulding trade!

20160630_160248comp.jpg
20160630_160503comp11.jpg

20160701_100324comp.jpg
20160701_103056comp.jpg

20160903_082400comp.jpg

Sponsored Links
So bad!!! No way any proper tradesman would do those bodges, must have been a chancer.

I bought a house that was rewired in 1998... only 9 years before I bought it so I didn't get an electrical survey.
Anyway, I finally got rid of the last piece of lead-sheathed VIR cable a while back. Adding a few sockets turned into a full rewire after I uncovered the horrors they left me!

Lesson learned - even if they tell you it's been done, and even if the sockets and CU look shiny and new... don't trust 'em! :)

I've come a cross diagonal wiring to a socket before, so in that case they did take the shortest route I suppose, but not what we had in mind! Mind you, the same person had wired also lights from the socket circuit, but not even the mitigation of via a fused spur! Gave me a surprise when I'd turned the lighting circuit off and was changing the fitting I can tell you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back