Kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
H all.

I've just pulled an old kitchen out of the house I've recently bought and found something I didn't expect. When I cleared the kitchen and started pulling sockets out ( there were only 2) the last socket had only one cable going to it (spur) so I went back to the previous socket and found 2 cables. (One of which went to this other socket). Then my only double socket in the kitchen, when traced back, is going into a junction box on the way. (God knows where the junction box comes from). To me it seems that the junction box is spur from somewhere and was running the kitchen. Surely this can't be allowed right? Any ideas how I pick up the ring so fit kitchen sockets properly?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
How can anyone know without being in the house?

Kitchens are high demand areas and it would be better to start again and run new circuits in.

A kitchen ring circuit or 4mm radial will take a 32 amp circuit. Then you might want to think about the cooker, oven and hob if it will be electric.

As for the old spur you need to trace if back, highly likely that it will be off the ground floor ring wiring, or could even be a spur on the fuse board. Check for 3 cables being terminated on the same mcb / fuse

Kitchens are special locations, and will need the working notifying to the labc via a scheme registered spark or via application to the labc and suitable fee.

What size cable and what size protective device.

Mistakes do happen. that's why on change of occupant or every 10 years everything is tested.

Even then easy to miss things. Working in a set of offices I found some 7/.034 cable joined to 2.5 mm cable where some one had clearly thought it was a ring not a radial. Only thing I could do was change MCB to a 20A one.

Putting new 2.5 flat twin and earth next to some new 4 mm it is easy to see which is which. But when looking at old imperial cable matching 7/.027 or 7/.034 with 2.5 or 4 mm is not as easy.

So question is:-
How do you know it should be a ring?
And two has to be how can some one who needs to ask questions like this be allowed by the LABC to wire their kitchen?

Thanks chri5, the cooker isn't an issue as its has its own breaker and 6mm wiring.
I was just stunned when I came across one wire in the kitchen. It definately comes off the down stairs ring so its defo spurred from somewhere down there. I'll trace it back to the hall way but if I can't find a ring wire under the floor boards then I might just change the old style fuse box for an up to date consumer unit and do it all again. I'm going to have 3 double sockets in the kitchen and 1 single for the fridge. The hob is gas but like I said earlier, the over has a separate feed as it should.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I forgot to add that the wire coming into the kitchen is 2.5mm2 twin and earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back