Fixing Cables To Outside Brick/Mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of aeriel cables to put up, which will need to run around the outside of the house. The thing I hate when I've done this before, is using those nail-in cable clips which you usually nail into the mortar between bricks. A lot of the time, the mortar disintegrates and makes a right mess, they don't go in securely, and if any need removing later half of the mortar of the whole house seems to come out or work loose! Are there any alternatives to these, or any other methods used perhaps. I've been looking for those screw in type but haven't found any yet, also thought about small blobs of silicone along the cable to secure it to the wall. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can get things like small rawlplugs designed so that you drill a small hole, insert the plug and then nail in the normal clip. Neat and cheap with no worries about falling off with frost, sun etc. Screwfix, TLC do them, same maker as the clips. HTH

When you take the cable into the house take the cable down below the hole in the wall and then U turn it to come up to the hole. This is a "rain drip" which reduces the amount of water that will enter the hole. Do not make it a tight bend as this can damage the cable.

Also drill the hole on a slight slope with the inside end higher than the outside end.

viewer said:
You can get things like small rawlplugs designed so that you drill a small hole, insert the plug and then nail in the normal clip. Neat and cheap with no worries about falling off with frost, sun etc. Screwfix, TLC do them, same maker as the clips. HTH

Any chance of posting the link to the screwfix version of these? I had a quick scan of the SF website but couldn't spot them. I'm placing a SF order in a day or two and a box of these clips could come in handy...

Sponsored Links
Yes, if a link could be posted that'd be great, I can't find them also.
Isn't there a cable clip version which screws into the wall, i.e. it has a screw instead of a nail.

Or you could use these jobbies.

p2542338_l.jpg

You drill a hole in the masonry, and hammer it into the hole so just the little square bit at the top is left on show. You can then tie wrap as many (or few) cables as you like to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back