Running ethernet cable along external walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at running an ethernet cable along a stretch of external brick wall.

Two questions, where would be the best place to source black cat5/6 that is suitable for sun etc?

Clipping the cable to the walls, can I just use those plastic clips with the nail in, and hammer into the mortar? I fear this may just crack & crumble the mortar though.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Have used hot glue gun to wall fix cable on very rough pebble dash, pinning was impossible.

Sponsored Links
Stick it in a hose pipe all the way.
Affix that to the wall. :)

I was joking about going to your garage mate, I'm not meeting up with strangers off the internet lol

You don't need conduit or (FFS) hose pipe. Ten years ago in my previous house I ran some 30 metres of external-grade Cat 6 cable round the outside walls "bare" using ordinary cable clips hammered into the mortar between brick courses and it was fine when I left some five years later. My records tell me the cable was off eBay, from one Mr Telephone (good luck with finding him again). IIRC the main things I noticed compared to ethernet cable for internal use were the presence of some sort of sticky sealant around the inner wires, doubtless to resist moisture, and the stiffness of the cable - although later using Cat 6 cable for internal use, I found it equally stiff. Not too stiff to dress round right-angled external walls though. Cat-whatever, external grade may imply better UV resistance but seriously I have never found that an issue in our lovely UK climate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back