Hiding ethernet cable down side of house - ducting/trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of fitting ethernet around my house, and need to get it from the loft to an external wall on the ground floor, and to the garage as well.

The easiest option looks to be down an exterior wall (red line).

WYb3NtV.jpg

I would like to run 6x cables so clipping them all to the wall would look a bit rubbish - but I'm using outdoor rated cable so they don't need any protection, it's just aesthetic.

I thought about using a fake downpipe, but there's no gutter or soffit, I'm not sure what detail I could put on the top (e.g. a 90° bend?), or how I'd run the horizontal section.

I've got an air con unit in my conservatory with all the pipework running outside to the external unit, so I thought I could try that ducting instead as it wouldn't look too out of place.

WWLebWD.jpg

But it (Inaba Denko) is about £25 per 2m length, which means nearly £100 on trunking which seems mental considering how much was used on my conservatory.

Apparently you can use D-Line trunking outdoors but I'm not convinced - https://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-pvc-black-tv-trunking-50mm-x-25mm-x-1-5m-2-pack/28388

Any other options?

Sponsored Links
I would like to run 6x cables so clipping them all to the wall would look a bit rubbish
I’m no expert on this but why run 6 cables? Why not run one cable, clipped to the wall, going into an ethernet switch downstairs?

I've run one cable up to my loft (for the CCTV dvr which is housed up there) but when I eventually drop a couple of cables down into each of the bedrooms, I plan to just add a switch in the loft and drop down from there. No need to run 7 cables up there as I understand it.

Last edited:
I've run one cable up to my loft (for the CCTV dvr which is housed up there) but when I eventually drop a couple of cables down into each of the bedrooms, I plan to just add a switch in the loft and drop down from there. No need to run 7 cables up there as I understand it.

Correct, unless there is a special reason to run from one single switch, the usual way is to just put a switch central to each area which needs one.

As an alternative to running externally, is there not a route to be had indoors? For example my indoor route for such cables - drops down from the loft via the airing cupboard, crosses under the landing floor, then drops through to the ground via some boxed in heating pipes. The bottom of the airing cupboard also gave me access to run additional cables which were needed to the boiler some years ago, pulled into the small but useful gap behind the coving.

I hate to see cables unecesarily draped outside buildings.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rather than run 6, It might be cheaper to run 1 off 10G fibre down the wall, with a switch at each end of the run, even 6 off 1G fibre might be easier to run down some small conduit.

I would run one cat7, then switch at the end. Cat7 for external environment is about 7.5mm.

If you need to run 6, perhaps some conduit coloured to match the wall or plain black.

I would run one cat7, then switch at the end. Cat7 for external environment is about 7.5mm.

If you need to run 6, perhaps some conduit coloured to match the wall or plain black.
cat5e is the same as any other cable for runs under 60m

cat5e/cat6 external shielded cable (very thin) and run them down the wall as you would a tv cable.
The advice for using a simple switch rather than dedicated cables is amusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back