PVC composite front door advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are looking to get a new pvc composite front door in black and the only thing a little unusual we have asked for is that the inside be in black too. We have a guy who my father used to work with that we always go to for PVC stuff as he always seemed good for this stuff for us, ie reasonable price, good quality etc but we now have doubts that he is any good for us at all.

To explain, about 3 months ago my mother wanted a new composite front door so we sent her to the same guy. His guy came out measured up and sent her the price. She lives in a typical 70’s bungalow (if there is such a thing) with a fair bit of wood cladding. Anyway he told her that the wood panel next to the front door would have to be replaced at the same time as it is all one unit and when I looked that all made sense and she went ahead and had it done, it cost £1400. The panel is nearly as big as the door and the door she had was a white composite door with 2 glass panels and gold furniture. The guy who measured said that all their doors were the same price and you just pick the finish you want.

We had this guy come out and live in a 1933 mock Tuder style house with a straight forward door needed, i.e. no panels or extra windows, so it is the same company we are using but wanting a black door with a black inside which he said the company who makes them will charge a bit extra for that as it’s not a off the shelf requirement so to speak.

Bearing in mind our job is much simpler, replacing our old knackered Oak door, the quote has come in at £2100. To me this looks like there is something definitely wrong what do you think?

Was £1400 a good price my mother got?

How can £2100 be justified for our door, it does not make sense, am I missing something?

Is £2100 expensive for a front door supply and fit?

I am now thinking to buy a door off the internet and fit it myself as I am fairly good with any stuff round the house but I am not sure how difficult a job it is. The fitting price always seemed quite good to me so I thought best leave the fitter with the hassle but my friends all think I can do it so

I am not sure what to do. Is it fairly easy for a competent DIYer or not?
What should a composite door cost online, with wood grain effect but in black and 2 glass panels?

And my biggest worry going elsewhere is quality, the guy I used so far the stuff seems to have proven itself as it has stayed good over the years but I hear there is different quality in composite doors and I am thinking how will I tell quality, I am not an expert UPVC man, any advice please?

Any advice/help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Those prices are very high.
Get quotes from 3 or 4 other local company's. It will depend on the area you are in but I would say a reasonable price for a standard composite door is £750-£1100 plus maybe £100 extra for the internal coloring.

he may have priced for a rockdoor and these do tend to be dearer, a normal composite would be cheaper although it is dearer for anything other than white inside usually with comps

Sponsored Links
Generally we are hanging £900-£1100 for a composite, you will pay more for a colour internally, be careful though a black door internally will make the room very dark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back