PVC Windows creaking/cracking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it common for PVC windows to make a quite loud creaking/cracking noise when they have been exposed to direct warm sunlight?

I am sure that it is either the PVC windows or eaves that are making this noise, usually early morning and later at night.

Could this be due to expansion / contraction?

Anyone have similar experiences/solutions?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody,

I didnt think of the gutters.

Is it an expansion / contraction issue or a fixing issue?

Can it be resolved?

As woody suggests its normally the gutters, but will happen on pvc doors and windows, in fact i know it happens, especially the dark stuff like rosewood and mahogany, the darker the surface the more heat is absorbed hence why the rosewood/mahog frames are ALWAYS steel reinforced, some even buckle, twist and bow.

I have a 12" offcut of Rehau rosewood profile on my dash board, grabbed it today to show a customer and it wo bent like a banana :evil:, years ago when i was on call i had to attend a little grannies house because she couldn't lock her back door, it had been a scorcher and when i got there the door leaf was 1/4" too wide and wouldn't fit in the frame, had to soak it with a hosepipe to get it to contract.

Theres no way of stopping it unfortunately :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

The fascia, soffit boards etc are a dark mahogany colour, and the gutters and down pipes are PVC also, colour to match the eaves, ie dark brown.

The noise can be quite loud to be honest, to the point of waking you up in the morning on a sunny day.

It happens at both the rear of the property (bedrooms) and at the front (Lounge), pity it cannot be fixed so to speak as it has become abit of a pain really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back