PWA survey company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A nearby neighbour is elderly. She has received a letter from a PWA surveyor (Pearce and Pearce Surveys).
It appears her neighbour has submitted a planning application to build a very large extension that involves removing a garage that has a shared wall with her garage.

It looks like Pearce has obtained her address from the planning database and sent her the letter. I know nothing about this company?

Is the general view that Pearce is OK? Or is there a recommendation for a reputable PWA service provider?

We live in Kenley, London Borough of Croydon CR8.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid the firms that send out unsolicited mail shots.

If you feel a party wall surveyor is appropriate I would speak to some local firms, minimum requirement RICS or member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors as there are a lot of unqualified money grabbing vermin who have moved into this sector but the above professionals are regulated so you have some protection.

Ordinarily I would suggest talking to the neighbour first but if the adjoining owner is elderly and the neighbour has not has the common courtesy to discuss their proposals then it doesn't bode well for the future.

While absolutely anybody can act as a party wall surveyor, I would be amazed if anyone seriously touting themselves as such wasn't RICS registered!

Sponsored Links
While absolutely anybody can act as a party wall surveyor, I would be amazed if anyone seriously touting themselves as such wasn't RICS registered!

Pearce and Pearce certainly aren't neither are the vast majority who use this unsolicited mailshot ruse using the Planning register to find their victims. Although I have come across one firm where the owner has been struck off by the RICS but continues to practice as a party wall surveyor so it is always best to check.

Thanks to all that commented . The advice is being passed on the impacted house owner. This may have saved her a great many problems.
Although the application is still pending a decision. Hopefully it will be chucked out.

Yes it will no doubt save her a lot of problems because the neighbour has to pay for it all and I imagine these outfits delay and delay and then charge £100 every time someone rings them, which does no good atall for neighbour relations.

The other point is you can't appoint a PWA Surveyor unless you have received a PWA notice and there is no legal obligation for the neighbour to issue one. However if say they didn't issue one and took the party wall down your neighbour could obtain a court injunction as it would be criminal damage at that point.

No doubt the PWA co are busily writing to the applicants saying your neighbour could stop their building works, you can see how they stoke it all up.

Is this a big side extension on a link detatched house say? If so then size doesn't matter too much unfortunately so it could well be passed. Just saying so it's not too much of a shock if this is the case.

If it does get passed I think you should tell her to see her solicitor.

Thanks FootSoldier888
The double garages are detached from the houses - but each double garage shares a party wall with the neighbouring garage. The neighbour wants to take their side of the garage down to make room to build out the side of their house on two storeys. it is an aggressive (speculative) planning application.

Pearce and Pearce certainly aren't neither are the vast majority who use this unsolicited mailshot ruse using the Planning register to find their victims. Although I have come across one firm where the owner has been struck off by the RICS but continues to practice as a party wall surveyor so it is always best to check.

The words 'bargepole' and 'touch' spring to mind. Yes, always best to check. Although I suppose it's a useful service to make neighbours aware that PWA is the sort of thing a developer should perhaps be entering into.

Thanks FootSoldier888
The double garages are detached from the houses - but each double garage shares a party wall with the neighbouring garage. The neighbour wants to take their side of the garage down to make room to build out the side of their house on two storeys. it is an aggressive (speculative) planning application.

Geoff I know it feels that way but 'aggressive' is not quite the right way to describe it, I doubt they would go forward to planning if it stood no chance of approval. Unfortunately these side extensions are hard to oppose because generally they are not facing habitable rooms, and kitchens and landings have little defence against them.

I am not certain they could go to the boundary because it would mean your neighbour couldn't extend to her boundary without terracing effect being created. But a metre inside the boundary on both sides is usually deemed to be ok on single garage side extensions.

Perhaps a one over a double could create overshadowing issues though. Overshadowing a patio area is a strong case for example. But if the houses are in line and there are no facing bedroom windows they are hard to stop, at least in my experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back