Pyronix Enforcer 485 comms lost alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a little challenge and I was hoping someone might kindly help me as I'm stumped!:(
I installed an enforcer in our house 2 years ago and it works brilliantly with no issues. It's the kit with 4pir, 1 door magnet, bell and keypad, all wireless.
I recently installed the exact same kit only a newly purchased set for our elderly neighbours as they're worried about security but didn't know what to get, and it's been fine for the last month although they've not actually set it ever as far as I know.

Anyway tonight it was suddenly beeping very loudly at the keypad only and saying 485 COMMS LOST followed by "please wait" repeatedly. No buttons actually did anything including the Admin code.
I checked the manual and it said that is caused when the slave keypad loses it's connection to the master and is waiting to reconnect. However it seems to be suck in that state and even removing and replacing the battery didn't go back to normal.
That's all very well but there is only one and it just suddenly did that when they were watching TV!

Does anyone have any suggestion, or is it perhaps faulty? I don't want to cause them any disruption or problems as they're a lovely old couple, so I'm hoping it's a simple fix that won't break again.
:oops:

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Not done an enforcer for some time, but seem to recall the message comes up when power cycling the unit, I would have to check on my demo kit but cant do that right now.

first things is to check all connections and that the unit is correctly connected and powered up.

Not done an enforcer for some time, but seem to recall the message comes up when power cycling the unit, I would have to check on my demo kit but cant do that right now.

first things is to check all connections and that the unit is correctly connected and powered up.
Thanks so much for replying quickly secureiam! As far as I know the power wasn't cycled and the battery is OK. There aren't any connections at all as it's all wireless. Only the mains to keep the keypad battery topped up.
I did try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery but it didn't actually reset it completely.

the main panel has connections (fly leads/ ribbons) ill dig out my demo unit tomorrow and have a play see if I can create and resolve.

if your not an installer you cant get support from pyronix as far as I am aware, there are a few on here that do these regularly so you may get an answer in a few hours that's more helpful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks secure! This unit has the telephone PSTN unit connected to the main board inside. Also the power supply and battery. I didn't check that connection last night.
I'm not an installer but I might try the company I bought them from online.

Are you saying you have a main control panel .....and a wireless keypad aswell ?
You can unplug the the pstn unit and the input board if your not using them to rule out any issues with these pcbs

Hi sparkymarka, thanks, actually no the main control panel has the keypad on it and that connects to the mains and wirelessly to all the sensors and the bell.
I'll give it a go disconnecting those 2 on the weekend and see if it resets back to normal mode.

If you don't have an external keypad, it sounds like you may have a dodgy panel. We've not had a brilliant track record in terms of reliability with Enforcer equipment, so it wouldn't surprise me. You could try a full factory 'clean start' (did you do this when you first installed the system?) and re-program. Maybe check the voltage coming out of the PSU, should be well above 13v and stable.

Thanks Scott! I didn't do a clean start but it seemed to do it automatically when I first powered it up.
I'll look up how to do a clean reset and start from scratch.
I'm just lost faith a bit after this, if it goes off in the middle of the night it'll be even worse for them.

Did anyone find a fix for this problem. Just returned from a night out & having turned the alarm off I am getting a 485/Comms lost followed by a please wait message. No buttons working. Help!

Nope sorry I gave up in the end, our one is still working correctly but the neighbours don't want to risk it. Plus someone's pretty much always in so they never set it anyway. Let me know what happens with yours though!

485 coms lost is a loss of data to the keypad which is displaying the message. Usually a cable issue on remote keypads, If its the main panel on the enforcer then I guess it would indicate a faulty panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back