Pyronix SMS Messages being blocked by EE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a Pyronix home alarm system fitted a few years ago which would send a SMS text message to my mobile if the alarm was triggered. However, that message suddenly stopped. My alarm engineer claims that when I changed my mobile phone network from Virgin to EE, that caused the issue as EE are blocking the PSTN system because they have fully converted their systems to digital(this seems to fit in time-wise with my phone change). Apparently, according to my engineer, all mobile networks will be doing this over the next few years, leaving me with two options.... 1, Do not receive alarm notifications or... 2, spend £300+ with him on a new alarm control panel which sends notifications via wifi to an app on my phone.

Is this information correct, or just a ploy to flog a new control panel...???

Cheers
Stu

Sponsored Links
I thought virgin used EE to deliver their network

The TAP sms generation services have been phased out over many years leaving Vodafone sms centre number and open tap services, cant remember the last time I did a PSTN sms service.

Your panel giving you any alerts?
If the panel sends the message out (ie no errors), it’s possible it’s being blocked but would have to check that with EE and pyronix.

There were rumours of the Vodafone tap service stoping last year, then it went quiet.

When I trigger the alarm the panel gives the "ARC Call Fail" message, which according to the engineer is because EE doesn't support PSTN. The problem only started when I changed from Virgin to EE, but as you state Virgin use the EE network. I think Virgin used to use the Vodafone network in the past but don't know when they switched. I have also just been told by Vodafone that they no longer support PSTN, so it is looking like a control panel upgrade will be necessary!

Don’t believe any of that above , as I am on virgin and sms works ok from a Texecom panel, sounds like it’s not connecting to the tap server

Sponsored Links
what happens on your panel , it rings the tap server ( probably voda or open tap ) sends the info which is converted into a text message and sent out , the pyronix panel also (used ) to contact the castle host computer that checked the tap servers and changed it if the server closed down ....but it’s been voda only for a long time so a waste of time , sounds like your panel is contacting a number / server that’s not working anymore ...so “Arc fail “
What pyronix panel is it ?

Not entirely sure. I think its an Enforcer 32-WE. It is listed as a Grade 2 PD662:2010 wireless System on the invoice and was installed in 2014.

Last edited:
Any phone numbers barred on your landline ? Eg mobiles / premium rate ? Or broadband on the line / no micro filter ?

No call types barred. There is broadband on the line, but nothing has changed since before the issue. The only factor to change was switching from Virgin to EE.

After carrying out a routine service today, I can confirm after speaking to pyronix tech the tap server numbers are no longer valid which they have known for "a couple of weeks"

Does that mean the only way around this issue is to upgrade my alarm panel, or are there alternative tap numbers which can be programmed into my existing unit?

IMG_3718.JPG Change sms bureau number to open tap BUT it may still be calling the castle host computer which may be bringing the no arc issue

I'm not sure that I have access to that menu as I am just a home user and don't know what changing the "bureau number to open tap" means. I have changed the recipient mobile number to one on the Virgin network but still get the ARC Call Fail fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back