Pyronix Sterling 10 alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house with a Pyronix Sterling 10 alarm. It has a dedicated mains supply and in internal battery that is in good order. When the power is cut the alarm sounds.

Shouldn't the battery maintain the system until power is restored? or is this a feature because the mains distribution board is accessible externally. I have the manual but not yet found a reference to this.

Sponsored Links
How do you no the battery is in good order ?
Sterling 10 will indicate a ac mains fail at the keypad

Thanks for replying handymanjo. I have removed and metered the battery at 13.7 volts.

I did not see any mains failure message, in fact the screen went blank and unlit. When the mains was restored the alarm silenced, the keypad awoke and I could reset it.

Then I removed the panel cover and the tamper actuated which I silenced with code. I tested the battery. I did not have time to do a reset of the engineering code.

I have now powered the entire system down allowing the bell battery to run flat.

Two things battery showing 13.7 doesn’t mean a thing , what are the battery leads outputting at ?

Sponsored Links
OK. Over my head now. What do yo mean by battery leads? Is this just the wires coming off the terminals?

Whats the other thing?

BTW. I appreciate this advice so please dont think me rude if I dont reply again this evening as I am going out!

nouniquename,

think of a battery as a petrol tank just because you can smell petrol, it doesen't mean there is any fuel in the tank.

Europlex

I will take the battery to a local battery centre for proper load testing before I go any further. Thanks.

Ok guys.. Putting a volt meter on a battery proves nothing, as you all rightly poited out. A load test proved the battery shot. New one now installed. Thanks for the advice/replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back