Q on Armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a single phase circuit, using armoured cable, can you use 2 core, and then have the protective armour wires provide the earth ?

I have always used 3 core, and bonded protective armour wires to the earth.

Sponsored Links
For a single phase circuit, using armoured cable, can you use 2 core, and then have the protective armour wires provide the earth ?
You can, and many people do, use 2-core with the armour as the earth, provided that the armour is 'electrically' adequate (which it usually is). Others don't like relying on the (steel) armour as the only earth, because it occasionally happens that the outer sheath gets damaged, allowing water/moisture in, which can eventually destroy the armour by corrosion.

Interestingly people from both of the two opposing camps ("shouldn't rely on the armour" and "shouldn't use an unnecessary number of cores") quite often hold, and promote, their viewpoint fairly passionately :)

Kind Regards, John

I have always used 3 core, and bonded protective armour wires to the earth.
I usually use 3 core if I need the earth at the load end. HoweverI sit very much on the fence.
Earlier this year garden lighting using 2 core was listed on an EICR, not knowing if it had become a no-no I sought advice on here.

OK .... confirmed my thoughts - I'll go with 3C

A related point, this will be 6mm2 ..... can you get IP65 1p rotary switch disconnectors, (or switch isolator) all the ones available on TLC and the like are TP&N .... obviously can just wire 1 pole up, would seem a waste.

Sponsored Links
OK .... confirmed my thoughts - I'll go with 3C

A related point, this will be 6mm2 ..... can you get IP65 1p rotary switch disconnectors, (or switch isolator) all the ones available on TLC and the like are TP&N .... obviously can just wire 1 pole up, would seem a waste.
The difference in price to manufacture 2 pole and 4 pole is negligable, the cost of transporting/storing/managing 2 different versions is significant and would put the price up.

can you get IP65 1p rotary switch disconnectors

To achieve full isolation both the Live and Neutral will need to be switched. Switching only the Live and leaving the Neutral connected when there is a fault to Earth will most likely trip an RCD that is protecting the cable.

If the cable is the only circuit the RCD is protecting then it's trip will not be an inconvenience but if other circuits are protected by that RCD then they will not have power.

Agree ... dual pole switched isolation is what I will get, this will be a specific single cct RCCD protected.
Not bought armoured cabel in a long time - price will have hiked I'm sure.

Last edited:
I know core colours have changed and I will need to use 'new' colour codes as work will be after 2006

Q. is this policed ? .... the main house installation is pre 2006 changes ..... can you still use old armoured cable (see plenty of short lengths on sale)
I appreciate it is now Brown Black Grey .... as I'm using this for single phase install, am I correct I would of oversleeve the Grey with green/yellow, Blue oversleeve on the Black.

Can you sleeve the older colour cores to the newer colours and remain compliant ?

I looked at TLC for example ... they have a Color Harmonisation document and it states that new colours are Bronw Black Grey ..... but all the SWA cable pictures are of Red Yellow Blue.

Last edited:
Can you sleeve the older colour cores to the newer colours and remain compliant ?
One can over-sleeve any colours (even ones that have never been used in UK) and remain compliant with the regs. Most of us are unhappy with the idea of over-sleeving green/yellow with anything else but (in a multicore cable) even that is actually compliant with regs.

Kind Regards, John

I would not oversleeve green/yellow .... in same way I would never use the earth in a T&E cable for power - but seen it done.

I would not oversleeve green/yellow ....
As I implied, few people are particularly happy with doing that. In fact, it's rarely even an option, given the regulatory requirement for a CPC to be run to 'every point and accessory' in an installation - so it can only be done if the 'point or accessory' is getting a CPC from some other cable.
in same way I would never use the earth in a T&E cable for power - but seen it done.
Using the 'bare' CPC as a live conductor is (should be) really a no-no in anyone's eyes, and is obviously non-compliant with regs.

Kind Regards, John

I don't dispute that, it's nuts ... but come across 2 way switching where it has been used ... same install had used sellotape for the insulation of twisted together connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back