quick armoured cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if i had three core armoured SWA cable, with all white sheeths just labeled core 1, core 2 etc -

for single phase use do i use one of the cores for earth, or the metal armoured strands?

Seems like using the strands is very fiddley.

Cheers chaps :D

Sponsored Links
The SWA gland will take care of the 'fiddly strands' which need to be earthed to protect the cable.

If there is a spare core then it is normal to use this as an additional earth wire, although the armour will usually be sufficient on its own.

SWA with white numbered cores doesn't usually come in sizes below 7 core. It is also usually only sized upto 4mm unless specially ordered.

What are you using it for?? This is classed as 'control' cable, although could be used, with appropriate colour sleeve/identing.

HI, thanks.

The council came to 'change' the sewer (as it was sinking) that runs up our garden and between our garage and house. Whilst they were filling the hole up i asked them if they would lay some SWA between the house and the garage which they did - didn't cost me more then a few cups of tea and a few biscuits.

Anyway, they ended putting in what looks like 4mm white 3 core SWA (approx. 8 meters)

I have connected it to a 32Amp breaker on the none rcd side inthe house CU and the other end to a small split load CU in the garage. I only plan to have a few sockets and few strip lights etc, so 4mm should be fine.

Yes i know this is not a DIY job and breaks lots of regulations - i just wanted to check up on the earth as i have never used SWA before.

CHeers, Ernie

Sponsored Links
ernest_123 said:
Yes i know this is not a DIY job and breaks lots of regulations - i just wanted to check up on the earth as i have never used SWA before.
it is a DIY job if you do it right. its how you go about doing it that determins if you break regulations or not.

sm1thson said:
it is a DIY job if you do it right. its how you go about doing it that determins if you break regulations or not.
Like notifying LABC.

And the trench being of the appropriate depth and properly prepared.

And not that they are regs, but aren't there NJUG guidelines on separation of buried services? Just thinking of the poor benighted digger driver in the future who expects to find a drain and encounters a buried cable.

And let's hope that cable is 600/1000 SWA, eh?

Anyway - these drawings may be of use (your glands may vary), as well as this tale of one man's tribulations.

When I did my SWA to the shed, I was surprised how fiddly it was getting the strands into the gland right, it takes some careful handling and determination to get it right!

the trick is to strip it right, if you strip too much outer sheath or leave uneven length cores they are much more liable to pop out.

Awesome, thanks guys. Will get the proper glands, and earth strands and third core

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back