Qq? on renewing skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Peeps! I'm unsure how best to approach this, so thought I'd ask for your esteemed opinions. A bedroom I'm fitting out has that rather mundane chamfered 7cm skirting,which I'd like to replace with something a bit more modern, like pencil top stuff. Anyway, this bedroom on the 1st floor is an extension and was never finished off, turned into a 'store room', as you do. But I now need to finish it off. The plaster stops 2 inches from the floorboards, see pics, so wld be difficult to attach skirting as it is, so I'm wondering if to buy some bonding plaster and fill the gap level with the existing plaster, down to say, 6mm from the floor boards. (I've got some 6mm ply) Then be able to fix the new skirting once dried. Does that sound like a good plan.... also, bonding or hardwall plaster.... the wall is bricks. Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_164736.jpg
    IMG_20230712_164736.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230712_164756.jpg
    IMG_20230712_164756.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Get yourself a bag of one coat plaster and do as you said.
Doesn't need to be perfect, as long as it doesn't stick out more than the plaster.

Sponsored Links
Not expanding foam , fixing foam.
DIY and didn't get covered or make much of a mess.
Similar situation to the OP. Probably a bit worse.

Used this with a gun for my last bit of skirting. A bit odd compared to grab but stuck the skirting well.

Same thing, will be messy.
Surprisingly, it isn't. Bear in mind you aren't trying to fill a massive void with foam, just to get something to stick to the wall whilst also filling gaps. Used with a wee bit of thought and care, it isn't messy - or at least it is no more messy than using a grip adhesive

Thanks All! I'm going with Johnny2007* 'cos at 6.18pm when his post came thro' I rushed off down to Toolstation and bought a 7.5kg bag of One Coat.
Thanks for the headsup on the sticky foam.... I've learned something new there!
* I seem to remember an action cartoon character called Johnny 7.....a long time ago, mind!

once the one coat plaster is dry (24 hours) use a grip adhesive (I use soudal fixall) to stick the skirting.
One piece at the time and rest the caulk gun on the next piece so not to get your floor dirty with drips.
Don't need much of that adhesive and if you stay 10/15mm away from top edge you'll avoid any oozing out.
Of course if you're installing laminate or wooden floor, do that before skirting.
If installing carpet, use spacers to keep skirting 5mm from the floorboards.

Thanks Johnny2007! You actually answered my next query, which was how much distance from the floor shld I position the skirting. Am going to try my hand at coping!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back