Qualcast RM37 - changing the blade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bought a replacement blade as my current one had been fairly damaged when we first took over the garden (stray stones, etc) but having incredible difficulty in getting the current one off!

The manual suggests that I just need to unscrew a screw whilst holding the blade; which sounds easy! Sadly, I cannot see a screw - I can see a bolt, a bolt that is rather solidly locked in place and no amount of muscle will shift - I've given it a good oil and will try again in the morning, but wondered if I was being incredibly stupid and if there's another way to change this particular blade?

If all else fails I guess I could cut the bolt and get a new one; but didn't want to do this without first checking if I was missing something incredibly obvious...

Cheers,
TFT

Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea to cut the bolt (another name for a screw, as it happens!)
Hold the blade in a heavily gloved hand, whilst you try to undo the bolt with a socket spanner.
John :)

Could be a left hand thread bolt maybe? Edit/afterthought : Only if the blade spins clockwise when looking at it from underneath though.

Gaz :)

Thanks both - no way the bolt was moving either way! Stuck solid!

As for the bolt/screw confusion; I just wanted to be clear that the manual had suggested a screwdriver for the job - which would never work!

Will see if the oil eases things up then - even using gloves and sockets resulted in no movement earlier...

Sponsored Links
Heat is an idea - but given that most of the mower is plastic I did think that it could be one that could cause damage.

Sometimes there are plastic spacers used to alter the blade height and obviously these would be destroyed.
I'm talking about strictly localised heat from a gas blow torch, if possible.
John :)

I was thinking along the same lines; I wasn't going to set the entire thing aflame... yet

I guess slow and steady to see how that works, and if all else fails find something to wedge the blade in place with and then use both hands on the socket spanner...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back