Qualifications for Electrical work ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can someone confirm if it is now law, for anyone who is working on electrical installations in the home, to be qualified.
(similar to GAS fitter being Corgi registered).

I am competant to fit the new shower i need to install (i used to hold my 16th edition regs) but i have heard that you can no longer complete electrical installations if you are NOT qualified ?

Please can somone advise what the qualification is so that i can ensure the person who comes to fit the shower has ther required regs.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
All domestic electricial work has to comply with section P1 of the building regs (and any other sections that may be relevant)

In addition some work is notfiable, just about anything that involves a new circuit or work in a kitchen, bathroom or garden (that doesn't involve a straight forward replacement) is notiable to local building control, which can be done directly through a building notice, or by someone who is registered to self cerify with a Scheme run by the NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa, BRE (ECA), or BSI Kitemark

2381 along with an on site assement will get you into most of the schemes (Napit require 2391 as well), but you need previous work to show for the onsite assement

I have recently re-decorated my bathroom. i have simply removed the old shower which was working perfectly fine and i am about to attach a new shower exactly as before.

The hosue was re-wired by a qualified electrician last year who attahced the shower to its own fuse and an isolation switch which is housed out of reach in the towel cupboard.

All that is required now is for the live, neutral and earth to be re-connected into the connectors in the new shower. (yes the fuse and switch are off)

Can i do this or do i need to get this approved ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back