Quality brake pads / discs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been tasked to replace the front brakes on my sister's
1.9D VW Bora and the local motor factor stocks Apec and Brakeworld pads and discs.

Anyone know from experience which are the better quality?

Sponsored Links
Both should be ok for general use.

She's not a test pilot, is she?

Apec pads for me - I'm not sure if they do discs though.
Discs from my local factor are often by Allied Signal, and I've had no problems with them.
John :)

I need to change the discs on my Berlingo at the next service. Eurocarparts stock Pagid and Eicher. Anyone got any thoughts on either of those please?

Sponsored Links
Either of those will do fine, Pagid is probably the better known make.
I've fitted all sorts to try and reduce the corrosion level on the back of the discs...the best ones were Mintex from ebay but generally all are pretty much the same.
When you get the old disc off, spend some time cleaning up the hub behind with some emery cloth, and then apply a thin layer of coppaslip to help things along.

What are Duratec disc / pads like?

The chap on the phone, when I asked about quality as I've never heard of them, said Duratec are primarily involved with stopping trucks and buses - so stopping a VW Bora TDi is no problem.

By the way as anyone heard the tale about all car brake discs and pads being manufactured in one factory out in Asia some where?

Indeed, who knows where some of the stuff originates from!
However, I've never had any problems with Apec stuff, and all the discs I've fitted have been a perfect match, and not one has come back for distortion reasons - I only wish they didn't corrode so much.
For oriental stuff I do like Blueprint if I can get them - I can't comment on Duratec though.

I've used Apec before with no problems. For the pads, checkthat the pack has an EU approval number on it. There should be a lower case letter e, followed by some numbers and slashes. It's now a legal requirement that all replacement pads sold in the EU are type apporved. A company that has done that is probably OK. No equivalent for discs though. With those, I tend to look for some sort of maker's identification and somthing that might look like a batch code on the disc - cast or stamped. That tends to at least suggest some sort of basic quality control system!

Mintex bought, fitted and working nicely.

Just curious why Mitex taper the lead in/out edges of the pads?

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf80426.htm
The design of the pads also influences their ability to suppress noise. If the leading edge of the pads has a sharp edge, it increases the tendency to grab and bounce more than if the leading edge is chamfered. That's why most premium grade brake pads have chamfered edges. The pads may also have a slot down the middle to increase flexibility, cooling and venting. Some pads also have integrally molded shims and a multi-layer construction to reduce noise.
HTH.

Sponsored Links
Back