Quality of plastering workmanship advice?

When I needed a plasterer many years ago I went looking for a house that was being renovated. Found a few with named vans/wagons outside and asked the builders if I could have a peek around because I was thinking of getting some work done on my house. They happily let me but said it was at my own risk. Got talking to one of the plasterers and asked if he did 'cash' work. Made such a good job of one of my bedrooms I gave him two lounge ceilings and a full kitchen to plaster. I was happy with his work, he was happy with the cash. Recommended him to mates when they needed one.

Sponsored Links
he was happy with the cash
From what the plasterers that did my place said, the volume housebuilders screw them down on price so much that a private individual offering double is still getting the work at a discount. I think I paid £4.50 a metre; they'd just come off a Barrett's job at £2 a metre

Thought I would provide an update if anyone was interested, the plasterer has refunded me £90, out of a good will gesture, as he put it! A fraction of what this will cost me to put right including my time.

He said it was a joke for me to blame him! His cause to the problem was trying to blame the brand new, securely attached plasterboard, saying it was pulling away and that it also could be to do with the weight of the thistle on the plasterboard pulling away... which he applied, but was denying that was his fault... which makes no sense at all.

I have spent hours messaging him and sending him pictures of his work and his responses are unlogical and not worth anymore of my time.

I since have ripped out the old plasterboard and am going to reattach new plasterboard, tape and join myself and then paint, as the thought of hiring someone again to plaster seems like a gamble I dont want to take. I sent him pictures to show everything was bonded correctly, which throws his excuses out the window, so he most likely won't reply. I will attach some more pictures of this.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and taking time to reply, it is much appreciated and really helped, its nice to be able to get second opinions like this.

Attachments

• 20221024_135940.jpg
    20221024_135940.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221024_163644.jpg
    20221024_163644.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221024_135205.jpg
    20221024_135205.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20221024_142312.jpg
    20221024_142312.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
See about getting it skimmer.
Ooops, too late! My bad.

He said it was a joke for me to blame him! His cause to the problem was trying to blame the brand new, securely attached plasterboard, saying it was pulling away and that it also could be to do with the weight of the thistle on the plasterboard pulling away... which he applied, but was denying that was his fault... which makes no sense at all.

It can be difficult to make a decent job, if the plasterboard is moving as you attempt to plaster, but surely the time to mention and fix it was before he began, not after?

It can be difficult to make a decent job, if the plasterboard is moving as you attempt to plaster, but surely the time to mention and fix it was before he began, not after?
100%, if there are problems with the surface to be plastered, it should be brought up before the job starts, if they are a pro and know what they are doing.

Although the surface he had plastered was literally perfect, I even used more than the necessary amount of screws as I was overlaying it over a plywood ceiling, so had the option to put screws inbetween the rafters to. I had taped, joined, filled, sanded and cleaned everything to. As far as I can see he has no excuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back