Quantities of fixings for floor and wall installations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back with cap in hand for more advice...

Really, there are three jobs I need advice on. First is the floor in two attic rooms, total area just under 25sq.m. Currently, they're just floor-quality chipboard nailed to the joists, but I have to pull it up, put acoustic insulation underneath and then screw it back down. Is there any sort of guidance anyone can give me on how many screws/fixings I'm likely to need, or which fixings are best? Is there a guideline for fixing per square metre of chipboard flooring?

I understand perfectly that someone who goes through thousands of screws a week is going to need to keep the price down, but I'm more concerned with ease of installation than cost on this sort of thing as it's only my own house I have to worry about! I'm probably going to buy an impact driver, if that's a help.

Similar question on job two: internal walls. I'm going to be taking the plasterboard off one half of the stud walls (around 23sq.m in total), friction-fitting acoustic insulation, tacking on acoustic membrance and putting acoustic plasterboard over the top. Which fixings would you use, and how many per sheet?

Job three is external walls. I don't need to worry about acoustic properties as they're 2ft-thick stone, but I want to put some form of solid insulation up. Currently, I'm imagining screwing battens to the wall, laying foil roll-type insulation between and fitting thermal plasterboard over the top. Someone suggested to me recently that "hammer fixings" (which I'd never heard of before) were the way to go for attaching battens to the stone wall, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back