Loft floor insulating and fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my loft floor down for a while and have just lifted it so the electrician can do his wiring before I insulate it and fix the boards.

The floor joists are 200mm deep and the plans show 100mm acoustic insulation.

When I google 100mm acoustic insulation I get all sorts or results but nothing seems to give any figures for its accousticness. I'm thinking of just getting some 200mm loft roll and filling it with that.

Then when I fix the floor should I glue and screw or might it be better if I put some strips of EDPM between the joists and flooring to stop any creaking? Not that it creaked much when it was down unfixed.

IMG_5682.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would suspect they're referring to this sort of stuff, but as it's your own property, I doubt if they're going to be too stringent. The 100mm acoustic insulation should sit under any wires, but the 200mm may interfere with some of them; you can cover the lighting wire in the insulation, but not any ring main cables.

Glue and screw should stop any problems, but that's the boards to the joists, as well as to the joints. Interesting idea on the EDPM, it's certainly allow you to get the floor up again if there were any issues, but can't comment on how well it would work though.

I think they don't quote actual attenuation numbers because it depends so much on the other elements of the construction.
What they do quote is the density; heavier is better.
Personally I'd fit the acoustic material. It's a bit more expensive, but....

I bought a Knauff multipurpose roll today, it had a picture of an ear on it so I thought it must be good!!

IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

I might try the rubber under the floor on the landing before I do it all.

Sponsored Links
So you think that an ear on it means that it's going to be good. I've got some pink snowballs that I'm trying to get rid of Ian, I can do them at a very good price for the kids if you're interested.

Seriously though; as it's you're own place, I doubt if there'll be much of a difference in most of them, so this could be as good a choice as any; unless your trying to quieten down the night time excercises of course.

Google "acoustic joist strip".

Thanks for that, there's a 3mm one on e-bay that looks right enough (y)

I've got some pink snowballs that I'm trying to get rid of Ian, I can do them at a very good price for the kids if you're interested.

unless your trying to quieten down the night time excercises of course.

Can you post the snowballs? And yes, I'm a high heel wearer and a bit of a screamer :LOL::LOL:

I'll post the snowballs in the morning, and you'd better go for 200mm of acoustic bats if you're the screamer. So wooden floors will be better than carpet with underlay with the high heels then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back