Quarter Hip!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked a question this evening by a customer on a perspective job which rang alarm bells in my head.

Victorian semi detached house, at the rear of the property is a single storey room "the kitchen" which has a Quarter pitch hipped roof, the adjoining neighbour has the same.

The adjoining neighbour has removed all of the ceiling joists and fitted two rather large velux roof windows and vaulted the ceiling.

This customer wants to do the same, I said you can't just remove the joists and realistically if you need a costing you'll need a S.E, am I right?
I am sure like on most roof structures these joists have a structural bearing i.e to stop spread?

Sponsored Links
Is this a cut roof where the rafters run down from a ridge to a wall plate or ring beam? Is the roof supported and held together with purlins?

Here is a picture of the roof Job and Knock to give you an idea of what I'm on about. Look.at the small roof at the rear with a velux in it, I call that a quarter Hip or maybe a half hip, anyway it only has one hip from the corner of the building back to the party wall.

The customers wants the ceiling line to follow the rafter/hip line "vaulted". I can't get in the roof void "no access" but I presume there will be purlins possibly strutted back to the joists for support.

I think it's a can of worms tbh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-055215.png
    Screenshot_20221115-055215.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Here is a picture of the roof Job and Knock to give you an idea of what I'm on about. Look.at the small roof at the rear with a velux in it, I call that a quarter Hip or maybe a half hip, anyway it only has one hip from the corner of the building back to the party wall.

The customers wants the ceiling line to follow the rafter/hip line "vaulted". I can't get in the roof void "no access" but I presume there will be purlins possibly strutted back to the joists for support.

I think it's a can of worms tbh.
Vaulting a ceiling means removing ceiling joists - and ceiling joists almost always act in tension to stop the weight of tiles from causing the roof from sagging.

I would say it needs a S/E and steels specified.

Sponsored Links
I would say go s.e route shouldn't just cut ceiling ties out clue in the name but depending on size of the hip they may be lucky

Vaulting a ceiling means removing ceiling joists - and ceiling joists almost always act in tension to stop the weight of tiles from causing the roof from sagging.

I would say it needs a S/E and steels specified.
Thank you.

Was going to ask "how is the ridge supported?" Does the dividing wall go up to the ridge? Could you ask the neighbours?
The customer (who is always 'right') is aware it will make the room colder and therefore cost more to heat.

Was going to ask "how is the ridge supported?" Does the dividing wall go up to the ridge? Could you ask the neighbours?
The customer (who is always 'right') is aware it will make the room colder and therefore cost more to heat.
The party wall divides the two roofs as far as I can tell, I think the hip probably sits on brickwork or a plate where the ridge would normally be.

It's quite worrying really what people get up to in their own homes and I wonder if a "Builder of sorts" would attempt it. They said they didn't like the beams the neighbours had left in and would prefer these were also removed, after a bit of delving "The Beams are Purlins"

As an alternative I suggested vaulted velux's.

We'll see I'm not holding my breath. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back