Single storey extension - roof options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, advice needed...

I've recently had planning application rejected for a single storey extension on the rear of my house (4m deep x 6m wide) on the grounds of the roof being too high and impeding on the adjoining property.

The design was for a pitched roof to 3.7m high, with a vaulted ceiling internally including 2 or 3 velux windows.

I've been told that planning will be approved if I go for a reduced height crown roof or hip roof design.

My question is will I still be able to have a vaulted ceiling internally with these revised options, or will I be forced to have a traditional horizintal ceiling?

I am really keen to retain a vaulted ceiling if possible, including velux windows or rooflights, to make the space seem as open as light as possible.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
RJD.

Sponsored Links
The thread is probably better suited here and... nobody has replied in the other forum section anyway :)

Any ideas??

What roof did you have before then... a conventional lean-to?

Basically, the answer to your question is yes but the roof structure would need to be designed by an engineer. Trusses could be an option... but may be too much money to warrant the size of the project.

Sponsored Links
you could design a lean to roof at your max hight

Not unless he wants it approved as per his first post...

I've been told that planning will be approved if I go for a reduced height crown roof or hip roof design

So maybe the planning department do not want to see a lean-to roof at all, thus having gable ends.

RJD - any chance of a sketch of what you applied for so we (I) can better understand what you're trying to acheive?

Or a link to the refused planning application details on your LAs website (although this would result in us all knowing your address! :evil: ;) )

Speak to your architect, it's what you are paying him for.
No architect? Doing it yourself? If you cannot visualise what the planners proposal will look like the use an architect.

Yes you can have a vaulted ceiling but you will need to install a cranked steel beam to eliminate roof spread.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back