which type of roof to have on extension? HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice please

I am having a single storey extension build onto the side of my house, it falls within PD, so no planning permission needed, council have seen plans etc

My house has a hipped roof and my arcitect drew a hipped roof extension with a velux window in as I really wanted one.

I have employed a builder who is telling me I cant have a hipped roof with a velux windown in? I am so confussed, he says the beams will be visable inside and it will look awful and so wants to do a pitched up and over roof,

I am not keen on this roof as I think it looks like a garage? Any help please is he right? I cant picture how the beams would look?

I also have bumpy roof tiles on my house and he says I cant have those to match either and they ahve to be flat?

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Your builder doesn't sound very imaginative, your wishes can be achieved although maybe at more cost. Its difficult to answer without exactly knowing what you wish to do though tbh. Same with the tiles. Can you post a picture and maybe a photo of the existing/proposed elevations?

Ill scan a pic in of the plan, my builder agreed a price from the plans I had drawn up with the hipped roof and velux window in. Do you think its possible that the pitched roof is cheaper and easier for him to do?

Added pics of the plans, I am having the extension sectioned into a bedroom and kitchen extension[/img]

Sponsored Links
There is no reason a rooflight cannot be introduce into the roof on the front. Your builder is being obstructive for a reason only he knows. It may be a bit cheaper to not do the hip but only slightly if at all. If he priced for a rooflight he should provide a rooflight. He just needs to trim round the rooflight and unless the ceiling is vaulted it would look like this:

D8_Velux%20roof%20light.jpg

That looks really nice, the builder said it would look best with high ceilings (are those vaulted?) and if he did that then beams would show

As you can tell I have no knowledge of this and therefore could not argue the point

thanks so much

You can do it with a vaulted ceiling if you prefer and still have a rooflight, there is still no need to have any beams showing like this:

loft_conversion_4.JPG

I'd also insist on a hip end roof if I were you. It is more work for the roof timber and/or more expensive for roof trusses, but less work for the brickie. I believe the finished roof is more stable than a gable end.
I'd also watch out for the lower window to coincide with the velux window in the vertical plane, if that makes sense. Although your existing door and upper window don't coincide.
The roof tiles can surely be matched. If you post a pic I'm sure that the experienced roofers will tell you the model and colour.

Maybe your builder doesn't know his arse from his elbow and only ever does one type of roof on all his projects. Why is he not communicating with the architect?

Did you get quotes from other builders? Ones who may be more capable/knowledgeable? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back