King Post Truss removal / hipped roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a traditional type semi detached property with a hipped roof. There is a kingpost truss spanning the middle of the loft. We would like to convert the loft space into a bedroom.

In order to convert the space we would need to beef up the ceiling joists and remove the kingpost.

My question is, In principal, can you remove the kingpost without removing the entire roof structure and if so where do you put the additional roof support (e.g purlins, hip rafters, ridge etc,). i.e what is the most practical and cost effective way.

The space is not massive and we are unsure as to whether it is worth going ahead with the conversion (spatially). Also, a total reroof and new structure could be more expensive. Any advice would be gratefully received and would help us decide whether a loft conversion is a possibility…Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to use a steel which spans the correct length for the load, kingpost can then be removed and a steel inserted to support the whole roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back