hip to hip Truss roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some help with roof design.

We have ordered and received a truss roof in order to make a hip to hip roof. There is a number of trusses and two half-trusses that go on the sides.

Each truss is a triangle with the base being about 125mm tall and the sides of the triangle about 100mm tall. The total height where it sits over the wall plate is 225mm.

So all the trusses have been placed and secured.

When the roofer then tried to make the diagonal ridges ( I forget the name ) out of pieces of timber, he realised that he needed to build up on the wall plate to account for the 125mm "base" that all the trusses have, and he also wanted to make a "bird's mouth" on that diagonal ridge.

His solution is therefore to build up the wall plate on the corners and raise it by 150mm by stacking planks of wood over the existing wall plate.

Could someone please advise me on this, I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
I found this youtube video which shows our roof almost exactly even though the filming is not great.

I will ask the builder to do just that.

Sponsored Links
He knows how to set up the trusses, align them, centre them etc. Is that a roofer or a carpenter? Sorry if I have used the wrong title.

I want to persuade him to put the end ceiling joists as shown on the video, with joist hangers off of the doubled-up end truss. I also have a doubled-up end truss just like the video. Instead, he wants to put the ceiling joists in parallel with the double truss, and hang them on the half truss, which is feeble by comparison, and I disagree with, and will try to make him change his mind.

The engineer's plans also show the direction of those end ceiling joists, as they did them on the video, so hopefully I will have enough evidence to persuade him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back