Should I bother with my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice regarding my loft.

I live in a 1930s semi-detached with a hip roof and wasn't sure how to describe the truss layout, so I drew a dodgy diagram!

Loft truss.png

The plan is to convert the loft properly at a later date, with a hip-to-gable (if possible) and dormer, but for now I'm just looking to make better use of the space for work. But that needs a design that provides open floor space (even if it's small) and the current truss system makes that impossible as the supports come into the middle of the space.

Would there be a relatively simple way of restructuring the truss system without having to add new RSJs and so on?

Thanks in advance.
H

Sponsored Links
The works require BC approval so you will need to employ an SE to do the design and calculations who is very likely to specify steel beams to take the load from the roof and the new floor.

I am only a DIYER but please don't be tempted to remove those inconvenient structural struts you call trusses. Your roof could collapse.

Blup

The works require BC approval so you will need to employ an SE to do the design and calculations who is very likely to specify steel beams to take the load from the roof and the new floor.

I am only a DIYER but please don't be tempted to remove those inconvenient structural struts you call trusses. Your roof could collapse.

Blup

Thanks.

I definitely have no intention of doing anything without an expert opinion and have already got contact details for a structural engineer.

Just wanted to check if anyone had any experience of doing anything similar, to see whether there is a simple solution or whether they had no choice but to get new steel RSJs, etc. If it's the latter, than I'll probably leave it for now!

Will probably have no choice but to get the SE's advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes you will need new beams to replace any that you remove or want to relocate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back