Quarter landing stairs v 3 taper winders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone with some experience of stairs please help me.

What is the advantage / disadvantage of having a flat quarter landing versus a traditional 3 taper winders? My architect has asked me to make a decision but I am unclear of the advantages of one over the other.

FYI - I plan to carpet the stairs and also I want to avoid having tall risers which require extra effort for older people to walk up.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you have a flat square landing you have fewer steps to gain the height because you have 3 less steps to gain the height so each step has a greater rise

I didn't quite get your post. How do you avoid having three less steps by just having one wider square? Also are there not any steps below the square landing step?

What are the disadvantages of this stair type?

ok in the space off a landing you have no height gained
if you have winders in the same space you have a height gain so less to make up on the other treads

Sponsored Links
@OP; is this for a loft conversion? If so, there are some advantages in having winders.

This will be for ground floor to first floor. My partner feels that some taller threads require that margin extra effort, but for elderly relatives might make a small difference as I know the risers in our previous house loft stairs are much harder to climb up.

As big-all was saying, having a landing eliminates the need for three stairs BUT this also means that you then have to climb that height (35cm-44 cm) by adding extra height to all the other risers.

Decision often dictated by whether you are constrained in either the total length of the stair or whether the height is difficut to make with number of risers possible.

There are several parameters for designing stairs, all of which are interrelated, and OP is giving too little lnformation. These include available size of stairwell (is this new-build or conversion?); the total rise floor-to-floor (all risers should be the same); the available headroom (should be 2m vertically above the pitch line); the available size of landing at top and bottom, etc etc.

A sketch plan would help here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back