Quartzite tile sealing not HG?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tiled my kitchen floor last year using large natural stone quartzite tiles (black with the silver effect through smooth finish)

My local tile shop recommended sealing it with HG natural stone impregnator. They said to roll it on with a small sponge roller. Firstly the thickness of this liquid seems like a thin varnish unlike lithofin that I have seen which was very thin watery liquid.

I rolled on the HG sealer and left it a day, it says it would soak in pretty quick which it never. I done 2 coats like I was told but the overall finish was like someone had done a bad laquer job to them. I wanted them sealed as they marked very easily and are a smooth finish but seemed porous does anyone have any tips on removing this sealer and any recommendations for re sealing with a better finish this time?

I have half a tine of Lithofin left if that is any good?

Sponsored Links
both lithofin and hg are good products, but you aren't applying it in quite the right way.
They are both impregnating sealers, you apply them using a cloth\sponge roller as you have done and let the tile soak in as much as it can take, then you must wipe the excess off and not let it dry on the face. So apply it for 20 minutes or so and wipe off completely, you only need a second coat if the first coat is completely absorbed.

Letting it dry on the face will give exactly the result you got. Youll need some hg remover\lithofin grimex to strip it off, then dry the tile before re-applying as above.

Hi, sorry for late reply been away and forgot to check.

For hg would you remove using the hg 21 spot stain remover as that's what hg said when I spoke to them or can you use the grimex on the hg impregnator to? They never said anything about buffing it in with a cloth.

Was I correct to use the HG impregnator or is this not suitable for smooth finished quartzite?

If doing the floor again I'm unsure if I should use the hg how you said or try the lithofin, not sure what will protect the most and give the most natural finish. The HG is quite a thick liquid and the lithofin is thin and strong smelling

Sponsored Links
Anyone - Will lithofin grimex remove the HG impregnator? I have spoke to HG about this and they say to use the spot stain remover, but it comes in a small 500ml bottle and at £8 there must be something else that can remove it.

I want to put lithofin down next time.

Are there any other removers or even white spirit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back