Quary Tiles - what grouting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my front doorstep has 15mm x 15mm quarry tiles exposed to the elements. Some are now cracked and I am going to order some replacements. I was going to set them in using quick drying waterproof cement (Cementone). However I wonder if I need to use specific tile grouting. perhaps I need cement to bed underneath the tiles with grouting round the sides. I have used the cement before on paving slabs and the colour seems to be about right. I would be grateful for any advise please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i would use cement for grouting quarry tiles. Mix it with water to a paste like texture. Press it in to the joints then wipe off excess with a rag. You may find that it 'dusts' the surface of your tiles. When the grouting is nearly dry rub over the step with a small off cut of carpet (6" square bit).

Have you ever slipped on these tiles ? I have always advised, anyone i've done work for, against using them as step treads as they become very slippery when wet.

Many thanks for the advise EB1caneyeB - I will do as you suggest.
Re slipping - no not had a problem because there is an overhang porch roof so most tiles stay dry. The only ones with a problem are at the edge where some rain does fall but people do not tend to tread there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back