How to deal with grout gap of Indian stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just doing a dry lay of Indian stone before putting on the mortar bed, starting tomorrow

The issue i have is with the size of the grout gap alongside the large slab (bottom left)

It’s as if the 600mmx600mm slab above it is slightly too wide.

What to do in this situation?

Do I install it on a mortar bed and once set, trim the slab down to ensure the grout gap is 15mm across the length? Currently the width of the grout gap is 20mm (alongside the largest slab) due to the discrepancy and 15mm alongside the 600mm slab.

I want to keep the paving butted up to the edging on the left so I don’t want to move the slab across otherwise it would look odd

IMG_3632.jpeg

IMG_3630.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Just doing a dry lay of Indian stone before putting on the mortar bed, starting tomorrow

The issue i have is with the size of the grout gap alongside the large slab (bottom left)

It’s as if the 600mmx600mm slab above it is slightly too wide.

What to do in this situation?

Do I install it on a mortar bed and once set, trim the slab down to ensure the grout gap is 15mm across the length? Currently the width of the grout gap is 20mm (alongside the largest slab) due to the discrepancy and 15mm alongside the 600mm slab.

I want to keep the paving butted up to the edging on the left so I don’t want to move the slab across otherwise it would look odd

View attachment 336713

View attachment 336714
Don't start trimming slabs. Have a bigger joint, where two smaller units exceeds that if the bigger unit. Close the gaps slightly on the others.

Don't start trimming slabs. Have a bigger joint, where two smaller units exceeds that if the bigger unit. Close the gaps slightly on the others.

Cheers. So in this case would you move the big slab to the right by a few mm (not ideal) or move the 600x600 slab left slightly to reduce gap between the 300x300 and 600x600?

Didn't you ask this question in the "how wide are joints" thread? There's so many I loose track.

If you wanted perfect, even joints, then you should have chosen a slab that is perfectly square and evenly sized.

With these slabs the joints vary to accommodate the natural uneven unit sizes. That's the way it is.

Sponsored Links
Didn't you ask this question in the "how wide are joints" thread? There's so many I loose track.

If you wanted perfect, even joints, then you should have chosen a slab that is perfectly square and evenly sized.

With these slabs the joints vary to accommodate the natural uneven unit sizes. That's the way it is.
Probably yes. Do you really have enough time on your hands to go back checking what people ask in previous threads ?

Thanks anyway

It’s my first time laying Indian stone and a project like this

I try for something like 15mm gap, usually have to cut the small ones down slightly, to get everything even.

once down, I sometimes go around with grinder to correct any non-parallel tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back