Indian stone installation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I’m finally at the stage to order sharp sand and cement for my mortar bed for Indian stone paving

I’m following the below pattern (4 different sizes)

Take, for example (bottom row, 3rd from left)…
That’s 600mm wide and 900m long
Above it has 30cm x 30cm and 30cm x 60cm slabs. Because I’m putting a grout gap inbetween theee two smaller slabs, will this not make the alignment of the slabs incorrect?

I’ve never installed Indian stone before and some people have said it can be a pig, is this why?

Do I cut the tile down to align with the edge of the bigger one at bottom?

EDIT: my bad, I should have measured them before … they’re 29cm wide so I assume that’s to ensure the grout gaps align

IMG_2817.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Dry lay a few of the different sizes to make sure they fit ok.
That will help work out the spacing required between each tile too.

Looks like there are concentrations of large slabs and concentrations of the small slabs. :confused:

Sponsored Links
If 2 of the smaller tiles make up the same dimension as the end or side dimensions of the bigger tiles then you won't be able to have a grout gap on any of them as it will throw the whole pattern out of kilter. You would have to cut them individually to suit. as can be seen here
1710169123852.png

Measure a few of the 30,60 90 edges to see what they actually are and see if they are similar in size. If bought as a pack it should be sized ok to lay them without cutting.
Just put a few different size ones down to see how they sit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back