Query about Primer+Undercoat combined options and Mist Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had a few questions regarding painting wooden surfaces ( door/skirtings) some of them unpainted/new and some already painted.
I have had a look in the DIY stores and one gets tins from Dulux and the DIY own brands with a combined Primer + Undercoat mixture all in one.
My Questions are as follows
1) Should I go in for a multipurpose Combined primer+undercoat option or should i buy the 2 separately and apply them? Does anyone have any expereince on the effectiveness?
2) Does anyone have any expereince on the combined option and is it worth going for the Dulux or DIY brand ?
3) There are Gloss paints available which state that they don’t need an undercoat which seem ideal for already painted surfaces. Does one need to prime or undercoat already painted wood and metallic surfaces?

Does anyone know what is the percentage of water for preparing a mist coat applied for walls and ceilings?

Coolusee

Sponsored Links
the combined primer/undercoat is OK for interior woodwork. It dries fast and is quite soft. You may need to thin it if, after stirring well, it is thick and leaves brushmarks. It needs light sanding with a fine grade paper as it tends not to be very smooth. It is not suitable for metal or outdoor work. It raises the grain of wood due to the water, another reason for sanding flat before topcoating. As it is so soft it is easy to sand. I don't use it over surfaces that have previously been painted as I don't think it will stick well

For metal use an oil-based universal or metal primer. Don't use a water-based primer as it will cause steel items to rust before it dries.

For mist coating bare plaster, read the instructions on the tin. 10% is a good start. It is OK if the first mist coat sinks into the plaster and disappears, just give it another coat when it is dry until it doesn't sink in.

I wouldn't use the no-undercoat paint, it will be a compromise.

p.s. You can print your own 15% off voucher for use in-store
http://info.diy.com/servlet/website...7be_7.2e.2ey.26zzEHKkpHgDlHRLklFIkplmhsDHJDNr

Thank U very much John for the detailed advice.

For already painted radiators or wooden surfaces like doors, Is it really necessary to have a undercoat at all ? or is it just sufficient to sand it down and apply 1 or 2 final coats of metal gloss paint?

satinwood for radiators, not gloss. you can rub them down with wire wool first.

doors often have chips and scratches so need prep. if they are more or less perfect and yopu are not changing colour, it is possible to get away with just a topcoat. Gloss does not cover as well as u/c

Sponsored Links
I like the DIY store own brand quick drying combined primer/undercoat, it dries in 30 minutes so I can sand down & be doing more coats by the time I have got to the other end/side of what I'm painting.

I have a set of timber batons that need to be painted with 2 diffrent colours some of them painted white and the other being a shade of brown.
I am unsure what TYPE of paint I should be using for the wood. I have applied 2 coats of Dulux Primer + undercoat on them and kept them ready for painting.
I want the brown to match with the other furniture and will use the Dulux colour samples to select the closest colour match but will I get paint of the required TYPE to be put on the wood ? Is there any special paint for wood when selecting the colour from the Dulux Samples ? Can I use this paint for the walls as well ?
I need a medium sheen on the wood .
I think I had seen seeing white paint for wood in cans off the shelf not sure about other colours !!!
How many coats do i need for the wood ?

Just realised by visiting one of the DIY store that they have Paints for Wood and Metal that come for the various Dulux colour samples as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back