Query on planning permission, etc,. for garage extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to make an offer on a house in Devon.
There is a detached garage built between (but not touching) two very ancient walls, some 2.5 to 2.8m high. The cavity between the walls is blocked off at one end by a natural rock outcrop surmounted by a decked area (which I would own). The cavity in question would allow a 2m extension to the garage. In practice, I could extend the gargage without anyone seeing anything or knowing much about it, but legally, do I need planning permission or building regs approval to do this? The garage is a rendered breeze block structure with a flat roof.

Sponsored Links
when i was going to build a workshop i looked up the local council planning policy online ,i assume ,(unless you live in a conservation area or the like) all areas are about the same :LOL: the results i got back (off the top of my head) were something like ,aslong as it wasnt over a certain height(i think my council policy was 12 foot) you could build the garage/shed/workshop upto 50% of the size of your garden!!!!!(believe it or not) but it did depend if the new structure was being erected towards boundaries.best bet would be to try the council online or phone them and just ask there policy on garage extensions,you wont have to give personal details,just treat it as an enquiry.i think you will find yourself being suprised by the answer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back