Question about my lights, and funny earth ????

If you look, the earths are not connected across the switch itself,
Why would you ever want to put a switch in an earth conductor? :eek:

rather connected along a "RAIL". i dont know what else it is called if it is not some sort of connecting rail. much like a commom mode bus-bar i would assume...
It's an earth terminal.

Where would you put the earths if you had complete freedom of choice?

And I'm not being arrogant, but perhaps you could explain the contradictions here:

You consider yourself a multiply qualified electrical/electronic engineer, and you think that to become competent to do domestic electrical installation work you only need to do some revision and take some exams, as the knowledge is already there.

You spent spend a long time learning regs and how household electrics should be done, after which you did some substantial rewiring which all complied with the regulations.

You think that earthing conductors can be switched.

You don't know how the most common design of lighting circuit found in houses in this country works.

Sponsored Links
There are many instantances where things are switched using earths!!!...

obviously not in household electrics which is why i was asking about there being a switch there.,,,,,,

let me say again, i am not an electrician..

your quoting me posts i put up a while ago before i really got my hands dirty with this house...

thanks to the advice from people on here i have undertaken many jobs for the first time and have acheived some amazing results...

you have been arogant to alot of my posts and others, i wonder if you would communicate in the same way if you were doing work for people, becuase i know where i would tell you to go if you were in my house talking to me like that,

back to electrics.. my new kitchen and workshop electrics were all installed by qualified electricians.,, i made the job easy for them by lifting floorboards, digging the trench etc etc etc..... none the less after looking into everything perhaps my post about taking a few tests etc was a little premature now i know so stop going on about it !!!!

btw, one of my lecturers is a dr, he is ridiculassly over qualified in the same area's i am studying but has never worked anywhere in industry, my guess is he cant wire a plug.. what i am trying to say is i dont make the assumption i am a qualified and good engineer i am, i hardly need to prove it to you. household electrics is just 1 area in this whole massive world of electrical and electronical engineering of which i am not qualified nor do i think i am competant, hence i ask questions and find out as much info as pos before making any decisions.. i am sure i said my subject area of work is control systems,,, which i may add is somewhat completely different from anything household electrics has anything to do with.

Give me a break !!

There are many instantances where things are switched using earths!!!...
Not in protective conductors.

Read 543.3.4.

You must have a copy, because you said you spent a long time learning the regulations.

obviously not in household electrics which is why i was asking about there being a switch there.,,,,,,
It's not encouraging that you think it odd for protective conductors, or bonding conductors, to go to switch positions.

your quoting me posts i put up a while ago before i really got my hands dirty with this house...
I'm quoting a post where you said that you had already spent a long time learning regs and how household electrics should be done, and how you had already done a significant amount of work as per the regs.

you have been arogant to alot of my posts and others,
Please don't confuse calling people out for misleading us with arrogance.

i wonder if you would communicate in the same way if you were doing work for people, becuase i know where i would tell you to go if you were in my house talking to me like that,
Would you have been misleading me?

back to electrics.. my new kitchen and workshop electrics were all installed by qualified electricians.,, i made the job easy for them by lifting floorboards, digging the trench etc etc etc..... none the less after looking into everything perhaps my post about taking a few tests etc was a little premature now i know so stop going on about it !!!!
I will.

Any other earlier claims you'd like to retract?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back