Question about old garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, just bought a house which I dont get for a few weeks yet, but trying to work out some stuff in advanced.

It had a garage which I assumed was brick built, but on closer inspection when I knocked on the roughcast it sounded hollow,

And on inside it looks like its tall but thin (1 or two feet) sections of wall that are lined up together like the old prefab houses. Inside looking at roof it looks like asbestos profiled classing (in good nic) sitting on concrete horizontal beams/lintles

Question is what do you call that type of construction? and is it likely that the walls could bear much/any weight from something being fixed to them (ie a pull up bar for home gym?)

sorry but was dark and not got pics yet

Sponsored Links
just reading through other posts their and looks like Its a sectional concrete garage, so gonn ahave a look through some info for that,

Im assuming now that Id be better building a bit of a frame up to take the weight of something like a pull up bar.

BUT. . I had thought the concrete beams that run along the ceiling, I could drill a fixing into one of them for a pully (again for weight training on) but dont know what kind of strength they could take, beams were probably about 3 or 4 inch each side, 6 or 7 foot long, could they bear much weight or Im I looking at more frame building lol?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back