Wooden Garage / Garden Building membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm planning on constructing a wooden garage / garden building this summer.

As I plan to insulate inside and potentially plasterboard inside do I need a waterproof membrane behind the outer cladding?

The finished building from the house should look something like this only a bit bigger and with a garage door on the rear side.
CM_Day_Office_Cedar_02.jpg

Obviously it will have a concrete floor so thinking will build a dwarf wall to lift the timbers of the ground.

Any advice?

Also it will be build around an existing concrete prefab that will have 2 of the wall removed along with the roof. the remaining 2 walls will be part of the final structure but will be clad outside and boarded over inside so once complete will be indetectable.

Sponsored Links
Basically if the timber cladding is vertical boarding as shown on your photo the construction working from the outside inwards should be :-
timber cladding ,horizontal tantalised timber battens on vertical tantalised timber counter battens , breathable membrane, wbp ply boarding ,insulation between tanalised sw studding, vapour barrier, plasterboard and skim.

Basically if the timber cladding is vertical boarding as shown on your photo the construction working from the outside inwards should be :-
timber cladding ,horizontal tantalised timber battens on vertical tantalised timber counter battens , breathable membrane, wbp ply boarding ,insulation between tanalised sw studding, vapour barrier, plasterboard and skim.

Exactly what I was after.

How do I deal with opening for windows and doors? how do I end the membrane and vapour barrier?

Also how do I join the individual breathable membranes? (or do I just overlap starting at the bottom?)

Sponsored Links
You need to look up typical details for top and bottom of wall, window head, jamb and cill. I haven't got any in front of me at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back