Timber framed single garage build advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please see https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/share-your-diy-projects-with-us-no-queries-please.74081/
Hi,

I am in the early stages (not started yet!!) of a single garage build and just after some advise on a few things! this is the plan so far......
7mtrx3mtr concrete base with a dwarf wall
4x2 timber studwork framework sat on top of wall
the plan is to use knauf aquaboard on the outer skin then render onto it,now this is where i am a little unsure as i will at a later date insulate between the studs and may either plasterboard or ply line inside,am i best putting some kind of membrane over the 4x2 then adding a slate batten then attaching the aquaboard on the outside? or is there a better way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Your method creates a condensation risk within the frame, and the render risks being cracked as the frame moves and flexes.

You should have a ply or OSB sheathing on the frame, then a breather membrane, then 25mm tile battens to form an air cavity, then your board for rendering. The cavity needs to be vented top and bottom.

Thanks! i did think that maybe need something extra to stiffen the structure up,what thickness osb would you advise?i would probably foam glue it to the joists as well

Sponsored Links
If you insulate it as you build you can put the OSB on the inside. Depending on that you are doing with the building this may be of benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back