Problem with building my extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of trying to finalise plans on building a house extension.

My problem is that one wall will be situated about 3-4 inches from my neighbours wooden garage. After long negotiations my neighbour has refused to move the garage or dismantle one side of it allowing me to build from inside it.

This apparently causes massive problems................

The original plans were for the extension to be a kit house however clearly it wont be possible to put up a kit and build from the inside. Then there is the issue of waterproofing the wall with a roughcast finish as this wont be possible with the garage in the way.

My architect suggests building with Fyfestone as a means to keeping the elements out and instead of it being a kit house I would need to do a traditional build and build from the inside of the extension. My builder is refusing to build with Fyfestone as he says he wont be able to 'key it' which I presume is the finish required for Fyfestone.

Does anyone have an suggestions as to how I can build this wall with the garage next to it?

Many Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
Wait until bonfire night, when his garage mysteriously goes up in smoke. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Build it overhand with regular masonry, either block or brick. Probably brick as there may be enough room to get your hand in and roughly gag the joints after every course.

No one is going to see it and if it ever does become exposed then you can grant your wish and roughcast it.

The other option is to lose a couple more inches so as to make it easier to build overhand...no?

If you were to remove a wall from your neighbour's garage, and then build your extn. wall, how would you then propose to reinstate the neighbour's wall?

Sponsored Links
Why cant you build the side wall overhand in traditional construction, or as a preprepared panel, and then adapt the kit to this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back