Question about osma strap on boss and drainage design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, i am currently doing some underground drainage work an hav purchased a couple of osma strap on bosses with the following inserts:

http://co-uk.wavin.com/master/maste...middleTemplateName=oc_middle_product_detail_I

However i am not quite sure how far to insert the pipe. There looks like there is a ridge that sticks out on the rubber seal, does the paipe have to pass that or but up to it?

PS does anyone else find these are really tight fitting?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
3 links to the same fitting? :rolleyes:

I don't think strap bosses are suitable for underground use anyway. Not really robust enough for that environment. Sounds like you need some professional advice on the drainage design.

thanks for the reply how do you suggest i do the drainage without the bosses i have drawn a diagram below:

[/img]http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21216101344.jpg&s=f10

The bathroom is ground floor, the soil pipe is represented by a blue line and i was thinking to run the bath, shower and sink waste pipe into the side of the pipe with strap on bossess, then coer with a dpm and cast the floor.

The toilet connects directly to the pipe via an elbow and then the soil pipe goes into the inspection chamber outside

Chris your advice would be greatly appreciated as i would like to do a proper job[/url]

Sponsored Links
Andy
For a ground floor installation you are better off installing a sub stack.
With your current diagram the wc will pull the traps on the other outlets as they are not open to atmospheric pressure.
Have a search for the sub stack it is easier to live with in terms of maintenance.
Good luck
Pete

Either you need a svp or you need to take each run out to the inspection chamber individually, you cant just "Y" into a pipe run under the floor. Is this the head of a drainage run?

hi mate, thanks for the reply i have done a search on sub stacks but cant really find anything. Dont mean to be a pain but i am in quite a muddle so any further help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

hi guys i have drawn another diagram, its basically a cutaway of my house showing the internal soil pipes etc.

the blue line is a soil pipe which runs from a durgo valve in the loft, to an ensuite upstars, between the floor joists, down the kitchen wall, underground then to the inspection chamber.

the pink line is a bottle gully which rain water goes into. the building inspector said this was ok.

the red line is my neigbours drain which runs under my kitchen into the inspection chamber.

the brown line is the soil pipe from the bathroom as shown in the previous drawing

The green line is the main sewer.

Does this help you guys. i really am starting to get concerned about this.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21305220916.jpg&s=f10

Ok, what is new and what is old.. im assuming the inspection chamber is old, so is nextdoors drain/kitchen and the house ensuite. ??

Static said:
Ok, what is new and what is old.. im assuming the inspection chamber is old, so is nextdoors drain/kitchen and the house ensuite. ??

Static, the inspection chamber is new as is the en suite and all the blue pipe, also the brown pipe from the bathroom, also the pink rainwater pipe.

The only old things are my neighbours drain and the main green pipe.

Please help me :cry:

Andy

Without seeing the main plans for the house its hard to say, but i would recommend running a SVP down the wall (keeping it straight will save you money) next to the kitchen/bedroom and running the waste from the ensuite and kitchen into that before it discharges into the inspection chamber. The bathroom you could probably get away with a sub stack in the corner collecting the wastes that then leads into the chamber. The depth of the chamber will depend on the existing run. The rainwater pipe can be "Y" into the pipe from the kitchen/ensuite run if there is enough room.

durgo.gif

stub stack

Static said:
Without seeing the main plans for the house its hard to say, but i would recommend running a SVP down the wall (keeping it straight will save you money) next to the kitchen/bedroom and running the waste from the ensuite and kitchen into that before it discharges into the inspection chamber. The bathroom you could probably get away with a sub stack in the corner collecting the wastes that then leads into the chamber. The depth of the chamber will depend on the existing run. The rainwater pipe can be "Y" into the pipe from the kitchen/ensuite run if there is enough room.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. when i said new, i meant they are already in and fitted including the inspection chamber, its just the batroom where i have the problem of these strap on bosses.

If i build a substack in the corner then surely this will be too high to collect the shower and bth waste unless the sub stack is below floor level but this then means that i am back to square one.

what about using the stub waste technique described here http://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage.com/sw_design.asp#k

by branching off the soil pipe on coming up for the bath and showwer, but then surely i am creating the original dilema but with bigger pipes

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back