Question about replacing brick and underpinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A recent thread on underpinning brought a question back to mind that's I've been wondering about for a while. Not that I'm planning on doing any, just one of those things that's piqued my curiosity.

When removing and replacing a few bricks, or underpinning a section of wall, what does that do to the distribution of stresses in the wall ?

Replacing a brick (or a few bricks) first.
Assuming everything was reasonably well built, I'd expect the stresses in the wall to be some approximation of uniform. If you take a brick out, the load will transfer to those around it. When you refit it, I can't see that you'll be able to apply any 'preload' to the cement - so presumably you end up with a brick that's effectively doing nothing unless something else gives a little afterwards ?

With underpinning, you've taken out a large section of support - so quite a bit of load to transfer to the surrounding sections. Presumably in this case, as you work along the wall, the whole thing sinks a little (and I mean only a little) when you take a section out and the new bit next to it takes up the load and gives a little ? If you get it wrong, is there a danger of getting a crack diagonally up the wall ?
When building a whole house in one go, I'd assume the foundations will settle gradually as you add weight, so there'll be some variation in load - but by the time you get to the top I'd have thought it would have sorted itself out, and the lower levels will have a fair old load on them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back