Question about soil stack vents etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a five year old, three story town house.

When I was up in the loft I noticed that the soil pipe vent pipe for two of the bathrooms had become detached. I also noticed that the vent pipe for the two shower rooms that was located close to the eaves was disconnected. I also noticed that next to the soil stack for the two bathrooms was another vent that had no connection.

So yesterday I struggled up into the loft with a ladder. I fixed back the bathroom vent and taped it up to make sure that it won't come apart again.

However, when I crawled into the eaves to reconnect that vent pipe, I noticed that the where the elbow had been removed the pipe had what looked like some sort of cap had been inserted. It had a valve that could be turned.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? Is this normal in a modern soil stack?

Second question: as far as I can see the extractor for the two bathrooms look like it has not been connected up. Could that be the second roof vent? Or is that vented in another way? In the top floor bathroom next to the extractor fan is a round vent - none of the other bath/shower rooms have this. Sadly some idiot (me) floored over the area where the top floor bathroom vent are located.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Arggggg - do I really have to crawl into the corner of the roof again!!!!!!!

Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back