Question about WCs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having holidayed in Spain many times I am puzzled - why here in the UK do we have WCs that have a box attached with a fangled mechanism to flush the toilet when in Spain they appear to just have a spring loaded operating valve on the end of a pipe? - and you can flush theirs many times in quick succession without having to wait for a box to fill with water - isn't their system more frugal in the amount of water used to flush the toilet too? Hope this isn't a silly question, only its been puzzling me for a while! Are we not allowed to install a Spanish style system here?

Sponsored Links
higher pressure supply.

found in other countries too.

Surely theres more to it than just water pressure? Crikey we are surrounded by water - there system seems so so simple - no ball valves etc etc (Thomas Crapper RIP!)

Sponsored Links
yes

I think they managed it by designing their mass public water supply 200 years after we designed ours, with better technology and materials.

p.s. I know that Jonathan Swift (1667 – 1745) author of Gulliver's Travels, had piped water to his house, in his letters is a complaint that although he paid extra to have a higher pressure supply which should have reached his upstairs rooms :eek: he often only got supply at the downstairs taps.

London had some lead water pipes laid by the Romans (as well as some oak ones) that were still in use, in part, 1800 years after they had been laid! I imagine they were laid for a simple gravity supply.

Our requirement for a cold water storage cistern in the loft came about because we had a low-pressure supply that could not keep pace at times of heavy usage.

Mmmmmm time we got our infrastructure upgraded especially in view of trying to save the planet etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back