Can someone recommend a reasonably priced toilet that works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have a Roca toilet that was put in about a year ago to replace our old two part toilet (cistern on the wall).

I really wish we had kept the old loo.

The old loo might have used more water in theory, but one flush and it was clean.

The Roca seems to miss certain parts of the pan when it flushes. The end result is that almost every time you have to flush, use the brush then flush again, which sort of defeats the point of a dual flush system.

While it wasn't the most expensive toilet in the world. it also wasn't the cheapest.

Can anyone recommend a toilet that actually flushes please?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
All current toilets have a 6 litre flush whereas old ones used about 7-9 litres.

Its normal to have to sometimes flush twice.

The overall water consumption is still lower across the country.

When 80% of the world's surface is covered with water and we have flooding in Scotland today, it makes me wonder why its so difficult to harness this common commodity!

Tony

roca like many other manufacturers use flush valves which hate hard water and fail regularly, either not flushing properly or not sealing after the flush so you get a constant trickle of water down the back of the pan.

if you decide to change it go for an old style unit the has a syphon flush these are much more reliable (you can't beat the old "dudley" valves!!)

Can anyone recommend a toilet that actually flushes please?

CHARTERHOUSE%20HIGH%20LEVEL%20PAN%20&%20CISTERN.jpg
:LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
All current toilets have a 6 litre flush whereas old ones used about 7-9 litres.

Its normal to have to sometimes flush twice.

The overall water consumption is still lower across the country.

Tony

Without wanting to be too disgusting,

I have no problem with sometimes having to flush twice after a large poo.

Where I have a problem is, if you pebble dash the pan, flush, a good few square inches of pebble dash remain where the water is simply not hitting that part of the pan, you can flush away all day and it's still there.

I'm talking flushing straight away, not hours later when it's dried to the edge of the pan.

When kids are involved, this inevitably means coming to use the pan and finding dried on pebble dash that's been left there for hours. this then leads to horible smells, chemicals being constant;y used etc.

The toilet is simply impractical for it's designed purpose.

Sorry for the graphic description.

I've seen
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Toilet-To-Go/invt/190476 advertised in wicks that in 9 pages of reviews everyone gives 5 stars too. Does anyone have one that can comment please? It looks very very similar to my one, but doesn't seem to have had anything negative said about it (presuming Wicks don't remove negative reviews)

Trouble is, there's no real way of testing a loo before you buy it.

many thanks

Import one from America.

Standard design in the UK; small puddle of water in the bottom of the pan, remainder of pan is dry, anything above the waterline can air-dry, as you've found.

Standard US design; large volume of water remains in the pan, to about 3 or 4 inches from rim. Solids typically don't make contact with any dry area of porcelain, thus taking away your problem

The 'Azure' suite at B&Q, (if they still do it!), has the old type cistern with syphon. May have to buy it as a cloakroom suite though, but I bought the bathroom suite last year. One of the cheapest they do, but I was happy with what I got. At least with a syphon you can change the washer or whole unit if need be, and it does clear the pan when flushed!

Pottery is actually made by Caradon (Twyfords), just watch the castings on some, did get a lop sided pan when a friend bought same suite for his house....

Import one from America.

Standard design in the UK; small puddle of water in the bottom of the pan, remainder of pan is dry, anything above the waterline can air-dry, as you've found.

Standard US design; large volume of water remains in the pan, to about 3 or 4 inches from rim. Solids typically don't make contact with any dry area of porcelain, thus taking away your problem

yet to see one like that

all the ones ive seen are syphonic

still better than wash down pans mind ;)

I was going to suggest that Wickes toilet, we have two at home and they are great. You can flush a brick down them and the Siamp cistern guts are very reliable.

No one squirts a bigger Bertie than me and its normally gone in one flush.

:LOL:

Import one from America.

yet to see one like that

all the ones ive seen are syphonic

still better than wash down pans mind ;)

The one in my hotel at Disney World Florida was like that, water nearly to the top. Personally I didn't get on with it as whenever I wiped myself, I always ended up touching the water with my hand (something my wife could never understand when I complained about it)

In a recession, a very competitive market and a company that seems to have lost its way, I would not trust any retailer not to delete unfavourable reviews on their products.

I am not suggesting they have, just that given the existing marketplace, I would not trust anyone not to.

Tony

Duravit.

These Pans knock the socks off virtually all other brands available, incredibly well made and all come with Geberit flush valves as standard. I have two of them in my home and have fitted a lot of them over the years and they always flush very well.

A middle of the road Duravit is £400 for Pan, Cistern and slow close seat, the pan on it's own probably weighs 40kg

Yeah, I got bored of this forum very quickly, couldn't even be bothered to post replies to Topics :LOL:

One thing I have noticed, I'm getting PM's off random posters asking for advice on subjects. Could we please stop this, this is what the Forum is for. :rolleyes:

Import one from America.

Standard design in the UK; small puddle of water .......

yet to see one like that....

The one in my hotel at Disney World Florida was like that, water nearly to the top. Personally I didn't get on with it as whenever I wiped myself, I always ended up touching the water with my hand (something my wife could never understand when I complained about it)

Best design I've seen was in the Bellagio hotel at Las Vegas - full to the brim as described above, when it was flushed, the pan drained and a jet of water was released at the bottom of the pan, firing horizontally from front to back to propel the waste products into the soil pipe.

Is someone going to be crass enough to describe this thread as somewhat ... an*l?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back