Question about your main vehicle

Thinking of the main vehicle used by your household, is it ...

• Bi fuel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diesel

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Diesel hybrid

• Diesel plug-in hybrid

• Electric

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Hydrogen

• Petrol

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Petrol hybrid

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Petrol plug-in hybrid

• n/a, we are a vehicle-less household

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I regularly use a model Y and unlike an ICE car, you can have it nice and warm while still on charge and it uses a heat pump along with heated seats, steering wheel etc to keep you warm.

Sponsored Links
Diesel at moment. I've had a PHEV on order since November 21. Not expecting it this year - probably March 22.

Some people are saying those on lower budgets will still be able to run EVs as more of those vehicles enter the used market. And that as battery tech continues to improve, replacement batteries will come down in price. Regardless, I certainly hope we're not starting to see those on the lower rungs priced out of owning a vehicle, especially when public transport is still cack in many areas and will never provide the same convenience as private vehicle ownership.
I know plenty of people that buy a sub £1500 and run it for a few years, it will be a long time before a usable EV is available for anything like that. The early EV's, AKA, Nissan leaf, are considerably more and the older ones now have 50 miles or less range which is very limited in their use.
I think we will see a major change in battery technology in the next few years (solid state), which should hopefully sort out the battery issues once they filter through......

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but Skoda told me a while back that manufacturers have to make parts available for 10 years after the model is last produced.

Going electric would be good in principle, but there are massive stumbling blocks at the moment.

Personally, I think that Diesels have been demonised.

The latest Euro 6 powerplants are very clean.

Obviously, the price of Diesel is that way to push drivers away.

I think that rather than banning ICE vehicles, the Government should encourage the replacement of older Diesel vehicles, one of the options being Euro 6 vehicles.

The current plan is not realistic.

I think there will be egg on faces when there is mass take-up of EVs and the infrastructure cannot support them.

Sponsored Links
I know plenty of people that buy a sub £1500 and run it for a few years, it will be a long time before a usable EV is available for anything like that. The early EV's, AKA, Nissan leaf, are considerably more and the older ones now have 50 miles or less range which is very limited in their use.
I think we will see a major change in battery technology in the next few years (solid state), which should hopefully sort out the battery issues once they filter through......

I'm guessing that the days of buying cheap, disposable bangers are almost over. By the time electric cars are in banger territory, the batteries will need replacing which will make them uneconomic. Like buying a banger that needs a new engine and gearbox - not feasible. Cars will increasingly become unaffordable to lower income groups.

Mainland China is the world's cheapest place to buy a Model Y. After last month's price cuts, the Model Y starts at 288,900 yuan ($40,500), slightly over half the US retail price.
Not sure what the ratio is here. Perhaps this sort of aspect will sort itself out eventually. There is a major Tesla plant in China.

When I started running a diesel the actual engine was more different to the petrol version than now and servicing costs were peanuts. I have had higher average yearly mileage at times so stuck with them. Also found that they can tow a caravan more cheaply then petrol. More recently I have stuck with them on the basis of cost of longer distance leisure driving. Probably cheaper for my local driving as well.

;) I did buy a petrol car once in between. A used BMW. Changed it ASAP when I found out what was happening on some of them. I knew some one who changed his BMW regularly who had switched to diesel and he told me why and I asked around about it. There attraction really is high residuals. Diesel was also generally doing better in that respect on all. But in BMW's case petrol engines where having problems.

Next power unit in a car. Pass at the moment. I think there is a lot of argument about the economics for a private motorist at the moment especially when range is considered. I expect various aspects to gel more eventually but that is some years ahead. Going on an attempt to sell me an early hybrid 4x4 things in that area have improved but I suspect there is more to come.

Last edited:
Both vehicles use petrol. The Hybrid is interesting, does about 3 miles on electric only but has improved fuel consumption by 12 mpg over previous car - both Honda Jazz models. Our of town the consumption figures goes down rather than up.

Would I go pure electric - presently NO, have the need to be able to jump in the car and drive 150 miles at short notice (elderly family issues) which I couldn't rely on a pure electric to do.

Had several desiels over the years - the mechanically inject jobs never had a problem with - consistent 53 mpg consumption, the common rail engined car had over the years several problems, injectors failing, very variable fuel consumption (40 to 60 mpg) and when the EGR valve failed that was it, it had to go.

Main vehicle is a 7 year old Hyundai 1.6 blue diesel, Euro 6 compliant 60mpg around the town till it occasionally does a burn to clean up the cat then 40mpg for a few miles! Road tax £0 ZERO yeyyy

Wife's is 6 year old Toyota Yaris petrol auto, very economical & puka 4 pot engine, non of this 3 pot lawnmower rubbish (I say that as having tried to drive a 3 pot manual I had to rev the nuts off it to get any pull at all). Road tax £30 not bad.

Next will probably be determined by interfering politicians & green nuts rather than my personal choice so who knows!

Last edited:
For work run 3 belingo diesel's recently rung up by dealer would I like to swap oldest for a new e version .
Asked what's range 171 mls max and less payload - maybe not.
Also have a 2 year old petrol mini Cooper a 1986 quattro and a 1968 diesel Land rover

Main is a Tesla model 3 (just retired the 2.0 golf mk5 tdi). 305 mile notional range.
Also have a mini cooper 1.6

Got rid of the Citroen Berlingo van as I'm now retired, now I just drive an 18 year old Vauxhall Agila, runs like a dream, ultra reliable. Wife has an 08 Ka and a 09 Fiesta, both petrol.

My main vehicle is a 2012 1.5 dci Megane est eco £ 0 road tax, does aprox 50 mpg, the previous car was also a Megane est 1.5 dci £130 road tax , not an eco but would return over 60 mpg, similar driving, so apart from having a 6 speed box and stop start ( which I have cancelled for safety reasons) how is this regarded as an eco for zero road tax when the old megane was aprox 20% more economical so by that a lot less poluting.
I also have a Mifsubishi Shogun 2.5 diesel £ 485 road tax, it replaces an older Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 auto £ 275 road tax.
The current one does aprox 30 mpg, the old one did aprox 22-25 mpg both identical engines, so how is the road tax calculated, if its to do with polution the the newer one should be cheaper, a total con.

Sponsored Links
Back